Absolute Sandman Volume Four, by

amandapearl2's review

I was not a fan of the artwork in The Kindly Ones. It deviated way too far from all of the other books. I couldn't recognize half the characters! And then the artwork of The Wake was so different, the transition was very jarring. (I loved the art in The Wake by the way.) The story is wonderful and sad and the writing is as fantastic as ever, I just really didn't like the artist.

phoebejeziel's review

I now feel empty on the inside.

manwithanagenda's review

dark reflective medium-paced

"The Kindly Ones" was an excellent story, a great plodding tragedy only slightly hampered by Marc Hempel's art -- never been a fan.

"The Wake"'s art, on the other hand, was so drastically different that it was a bit jarring. The stories tie together a lot of the loose threads of Gaiman's complex universe. Overall 'Volume 4' was, by necessity, more cohesive so it was an improvement over the scattered brilliance of the last one. I could see how it could have been a satisfying conclusion to the series.

But there's more!

Sandman

Next: 'Volume 5'

Previous: 'Volume 3'

kenyuen1's review

Wait, volume 4 is THAT storyline for Sandman? I was not expecting that. I was into the mystery of who took Lyta Hall's son and everything that was related, but they never really explain why the culprits did it? Stuff just sort of happens and a side character just dies senselessly, and that's a little unsatisfying.

The story with Hob going to the Ren Faire was great.

cate_ninetails's review

I have owned The Sandman in almost every iteration, from the original monthly comic books to softbound 'graphic novel' collected works. With Absolute Sandman, I will never need another copy as they are simply beautiful. Each large leather bound tome is encased in a matching sleeve with artwork by the legendary Dave McKean. His distinctive stylings are further reproduced on each cover, with attractive stamped detail and silver lettering. Whether you are an old fan or a newcomer, I can't recommend this set of books highly enough. They are still as fresh and immersive today as the first time I found them, and stand up well as the pinnacle of the author's storytelling powers. I'll forever be appreciative of Neil Gaiman's other work but for me The Sandman is a true legacy.

Volume Four begins with a foreword by Karen Berger, creator of the Vertigo imprint for DC Comics. It was her belief in an untried comic book writer named Neil Gaiman who made all of this possible. Following the events of Brief Lives, this book pulls us straight into the Kindly Ones story arc, where Morpheus must confront the Furies for his crimes. The threads that the reader has patiently followed through all preceding issues come to a stunning conclusion, a real testament to the superb storytelling that Gaiman is capable of. Besides the arresting nature of the Kindly Ones, there is also The Wake, which introduces us to some new players while also getting a final look at the multitude of characters that we have come to know and love. The art by Michael Zulli is some of the most beautiful in all of the collected works, with every page a virtual painting of gods and goddesses, lovers and innocents, faerie folk, angels and immortals.