Reviews tagging Transphobia

The Diary of a Bookseller, by Shaun Bythell

poemsandponds's review against another edition

funny informative lighthearted reflective relaxing slow-paced

I really enjoyed this book. It was such a "cuddle up on a rainy day with a blanket and a cup of tea" type of book. I truly felt relaxed while reading about this little bookshop in this tiny Scottish town with its revolving door of eccentric characters. It honestly felt like Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls but make it Scottish.

imrereads's review against another edition

The last straw was the transphobia. I also didn't find it funny and frankly snobish.

amberinbookland's review

slow-paced

jaedyn's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted reflective slow-paced

The audiobook became like a companion

sheonlywantsmybooks's review against another edition

I bought this book and started reading before seeing comments that apparently Bythell has taken it upon himself to reply to reviewers' discussions of his partner's book. As has been discussed at length on book Twitter, reviews are for readers, not for authors to overstep a line, especially to "protect" or "defend" themselves or their partner. I was prepared to continue reading the book at that point, though, albeit with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. It sounds like it'll be funny and could include some helpful and interesting information about the book industry. However, when you get to a section of the book where he consistently refers to a transgender customer as a "he/she"...I'm drawing the line there and DNF-ing at a measly 35 pages. My copy will be re-donated to the charity shop I bought it from.