Duke, Actually, by Jenny Holiday

cassiebartelme's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

Another winner from Jenny Holiday. I like her characters and her dialogue so her books always make it on my to read list. I gave this one a bonus star for the dog character.

Note- this is not strictly a holiday book even though there are some holiday elements. You can read this one out of season and still enjoy it.

sochuffed's review

I can’t with this book. I’m writing this right after finishing, grinning like a fool.

I wanna preface this review by saying that this is a holiday romcom, so if you don’t enjoy those, then obviously my adoration for this silly little book won’t make any sense to you. If you love a holiday romcom, then I HIGHLY recommend this book.

Duke, Actually is the sequel to A Princess For Christmas and while I don’t feel you need to have read it to understand this one, it was also an enjoyable read.

But hoooooboy, this book just got me. I adore both Dani and Max so, so much. The defenses they put up and the way they slowly let them down with each other made my heart melt. They’re both so vulnerable with each other in a way they can’t be with anyone else and in those moments, I was falling in love right alongside them.

And I HAVE to take a moment to talk about the relationship between Max and Seb. These were some of my absolute fav moments and I love Seb so much. I need a full book of him.

This book made me laugh out loud and it made me cry. It gave me butterflies and made my heart soar and sink in equal measure. I felt so deeply for these characters that I felt their emotions with them, and I think that’s a truly beautiful connection to have with a book, and THAT’S why this gets a five stars from me.

Also just so you’re aware, there are steamy sex scenes in this book. My spice gauge is really off because like…sex scenes do nothing for me and I usually skim read them, and this book was mostly no different. However there were some really tender emotional moments in some of those sex scenes that had me all

foreveryoungadult's review against another edition

Graded By: Stephanie

Read the full review here.

amnaali's review against another edition

Duke, Actually

My summary: Dani Martinez’s life is falling apart. She just got out of a divorce, her best friend moved to Eldovia and she doesn’t even know if she likes the job she’s currently doing. Max who is a Baron meets Dani and immediately the two of them hit it off. Max being light hearted and not serious just seems to be what Dani needs in her stressful world. The two go on many adventures visiting so many places. They’ve made promises to themselves and each other that there relationship is strictly friends. As emotions change and lists are made Dani and Max reconsider If that’s a promise they want to keep…..or not.

My thoughts:When this book first got approved for me on NetGalley I was ecstatic. I’m a new joiner and I’m not popular on bookstgram so I didn’t expect to get approved so quick. As any normal human I tried to find out as much as I could about the Author and the book itself before reading it. Whilst I was stalking Jenny Holiday (shamelessly) on Instagram I noticed the same phrase used quite a lot. She described her books as hallmark movies and a lot of the reviews I read said the same thing. This book 100% lived up to my standards. It is a literal Hallmark movie on paper. I could see the scenes playing out in my head and in every sentence I pictured something new. This book was just adorable, it was so cute and funny and the banter is like any other. I absolutely love Dani and Max’s characters and wouldn’t have them written any other way. Honestly speaking I never really enjoyed third person writing and that kind of threw me off when I first started reading but as I continued I grew to love the writing style and how you were getting the story from so many different angles. Jenny Holdiay really lived up to my standards and I can’t wait to read this again on a toasty Christmas evening:)

Thank you to Avon Harper voyager via NetGalley for approving me to read this eARc. I was sent an eARC in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

#DukeActually #NetGalley

calliea's review

I really enjoyed this sequel to A Princess for Christmas. The pacing of this book was better than A Princess for Christmas, but still felt like it was dragged on a bit. Loved the self acknowledgment of being a Hallmark Christmas movie-ish book. Downside of this book was the whole Seb causing the Duke’s death felt like another trauma for the queer character that was not needed. But overall excited to see where the next book goes!

deianna's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

thebookishbanker's review

funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

teesbookjourney's review against another edition

I liked this story way more than I thought I would. I don't usually like Christmas romances but this one shocked me. I loved the royal's adjacent storyline and that max and dai were friends.

A cute friends to lover story that I just found adorable

stephstbr's review

Full review to come shortly. :)

bookedandlit's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced