A Thousand Sons, by Graham McNeill

ulzeta's review against another edition

A fun read.

drwilko's review

adventurous mysterious sad fast-paced

din0_bot's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad medium-paced

maukew's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious sad fast-paced

case_race1942's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

utbw42's review against another edition

This Warhammer entry, by whom I consider the master writer thus far of the Horus Heresy saga, is epic in plot, characters, and emotion. A basic summary without getting too long winded like so many reviews I see: the Emperor has decreed that any sorcery by his beloved primarchs and their Legions as an abomination. Snap back to the main protagonists of this book, the Thousand Sons Legion and their primarch Magnus, who basically were created out of the ashes of Chaos infected genes, and rely on some unholy sorceristic methods of fighting, and the reader then sees the beginnings of some tremendous conflict between the Emperor and Magnus. On top of this, as a tie in to the overall saga, Magnus defies the Emperor to warn of upcoming traitorous actions by none other than Horus himself. This sets in motion the Emperor's direction of the Space Wolves, led by Leman Russ, to extinguish the Thousand Sons on their home world of Prospero. A gathering of very well-developed characters, fast paced plot, and emotionally wrenching details of the final battle make this what I believe to arguably be the best of the twelve Horus Heresy novels I've read to this point. Simply fantastic.

malcadorthezero's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad medium-paced

andymsmith's review against another edition

Great reading & one of my favourite parts of the Heresy. Works well with Abnetts - Prospero Burns & enjoyed this look into the Thousands Sons.

skayre's review against another edition

Not my favorite in the series. I guess I'm not a big fan of McNeill's style. His prose seems a bit... vague or imprecise. Quite a bit of telling instead of showing, which fails to pull me into the story. I also couldn't tell some of the characters apart throughout the book since they seemed to share many features and had pretty much the same personality (and not only the space marines, which would be more understandable!).

On the plus side, the plot itself is interesting and the tale is well structured.

smax's review