Firebreak by Nicole Kornher-Stace

timinbc's review

This is not at all a good book, but I enjoyed it. I doubt that I can explain that, but I'll try.

First, I'm old, I've read a lot of SF including many dystopians, and I'm not a gamer. So maybe this isn't written for me.

But .. other reviewers have pointed out that the world building doesn't stand up to ANY scrutiny. Nearly every aspect of it is flimsy. Do what I did and skim occasionally.

Mal and her friends are reasonably believable. Not sure how much they actually sleep.

The whole plot about adapting orphans is seriously WTF, and the stated purpose of doing so is way out there. But it DOES give us the Galahadian warriors the story needs.

The book's one strength is the slow but steady development of the story arc of one of the numbered characters.

We'll skip the fact that the numbered characters are implausibly strong and capable until they are not.

And the Director at the end? Let's just say that a hint of two earlier might have made that one easier to accept.

And yet, for all that, I still enjoyed it.

asfonk's review against another edition

dark funny tense medium-paced

barnesm31's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

It's like 'Ready Player One' but the characters have more depth and nuance, the investigation into the corruption by corporate factions is more real-life believable and the avatars have a more heartbreaking origin. The story has the punk for cyberpunk then R.P.O and the revolution is never total. It's a fight every day to make the world better for people.

aggressive_nostalgia's review

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

kyandesu's review

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

kevinmccarrick's review

adventurous dark hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

milliemudd's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

heidi_mcj's review

Excellent book. I liked the world building and but it did leave me with wanting more!

ohclaire's review

this was a good book but the ending... kinda devastated me in a bleak way. I really think that this is a book about the present as much as the future and the brutality of the ending kinda broke me tonight.

mimmareads's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

Interesting, though not really original dystopian view of the future. Felt like it ended too early, like part of the story was left untold, perhaps for sequal?