1919 by Eve L. Ewing

ginalyn's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced

I enjoyed the addition of the excerpts from a historical document. I think it gave extra context for those of us (ahem, me) who may struggle to fully wrap their heads around poetry. I loved the cadence of these. The nursery rhyme one specifically made me think. It made me cry. It made me want to do more to be more educated. I need to be less of a bystander which is pointed out within this book. Truly amazing, to use a singular event to transcend time and lines creating a discussion of what is need now.

bananafreckles's review

emotional informative reflective sad tense fast-paced

cgcpoems's review against another edition

dark emotional informative medium-paced

This is the second collection I’ve read and loved from Eve Ewing. Ewing uses outside sources, history, and research in her work in a way that is unique to her goals and her writing voice—others have done this, but none quite like her. This collection in particular is about The Chicago Race Riot of 1919, and concludes with one of my favorite Ewing poems (“I saw Emmett Till this week at the grocery store”).

I would recommend this collection to anyone, but particularly those that are hoping to learn about American history that’s often neglected in the classroom.

clankyrobot's review

reflective fast-paced

jpsiphonophorae's review

I am not a poetry person, but when I started dogearing the pages for poems I enjoyed or was impacted by, I found that I had marked over half the book. What a stunning collection.

pink_distro's review

i don't really know anything about poetry! but i do occasionally like reading poems so i thought this would be a good starting book and indeed it was. eve ewing is great at using sort of magical imagery to give historical events the emotional force that they deserve. short beautiful book

erinsbookshelves's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

hrector's review

challenging informative reflective fast-paced

kmatthe2's review

A beautiful and haunting work.

sophiejuhlin's review