NOS4R2, by Joe Hill

amandaegle's review against another edition

Watch The Marvelous Reading Room's review and discussion here:

miszmuis's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

books_nooks_spooks's review against another edition

This book just sounded so dark and horrifying to me so of course, I had to read it! Although he is not a main character, I thought Bing Partridge was a brilliantly written, disgusting little creeper and even though he was vile, he was a great addition to the story. I also loved the idea of breathing life into the psychic concept and using it to create this tangible, mysterious dimension. I think the author has an easy to read writing style but despite this book being 600+ pages long, I feel that not a lot actually happened and it seemed repetitive at times. The things I wanted to go deeper into, the surface was just grazed. As for Vic McQueen, I did not like her! She was incredibly obnoxious and selfish. I wanted more Christmasland/children/Manx instead of her. I will admit aswell that although I tried not too, I couldn’t help but compare Manx to James Mason as Straker in Salem’s lot!

snowdiva121's review against another edition

This book is so good!! I could barely put it down. Stephen King's son really knows how to write a great book and keep you on the edge of your seat. If you like a fast paced book with some suspense and horror mixed in, this is the book for you!

c0urtneyscz's review against another edition

Got verryyyy slow in the middle/last third of the book. Vic was kind of annoying as well lol but I still liked it enough.

sianami's review against another edition

As with Heart Shaped Box, scarier when the characters are dealing with the lead up to/aftermath of the horror rather than the actual horror scenes themselves. Great characterisation.

booksndoggos's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense slow-paced

b_barnes's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

hunterballenger's review against another edition

Wow! This was amazing. I can be pretty strict when handing out 5 stars to books and this one for sure deserves it.

I loved just about every character in this book. I found myself very attached to the books protagonist, Vic, from just reading the first few chapters about her childhood. Not only that I found Lou, her child’s father, to be just as enjoyable. He didn’t play as much as an important role as Vic herself, but still found his way into my heart as someone crucial to the story. He’s the heart of the family that holds everyone together. He served as a form of guidance and continuous love to Vic even though things hadn’t worked out completely between them and also was a great father figure to Wayne. The antagonist Charlie Talent Manx III was extremely well written and often sent shivers up my spine. Joe hill managed to make Christmas scary without the book even taking place during the festive season. Wayne himself was also quickly introduced in the book, yet I found him to be quite lovable. Though much younger than myself I found him and his childhood to be similar to myself and how I grew up in several ways, so he quickly became a favorite character of mine. I feel it’s also important to mention how shocked and impressed I was about how quickly I found myself interested in Tabitha Hutter, the FBI agent. She was thrown into the story randomly, yet Hill successfully made her an important character. Her development was easy to track as the book came to a conclusion and to my surprise became one of my favorite characters in this book. Hill effectively gave depth to Hutter in the short time she was in this book, which I think is important to note.

This books plot had me hooked from the beginning. Though I at first was more enraptured into reading NOS4A2 by Vic’s character herself, I soon couldn’t put the book down as the tale of a mother trying to rescue her only child began taking way. It a story of strife and love even though Vic and Wayne aren’t really too close with each other. Overall the plot was great and a really strong concept that’s guaranteed to have reader’s enamored with.

This was my first experience reading Joe Hill and I adored his writing. It’s some of the best work I’ve read from the Horror/Thriller genre by far. I plan to read Horns next and I hope to be just as pleased with his writing capabilities. He really makes you fall in love with a character quick and offers depth to even the most minute of roles in a book.

5/5 was amazing and I hope more people check this book out. Loved it from beginning to finish and it deserves more recognition. By far one of the best reads of mine this year.

snortingpages's review against another edition

dnfing for now might come back for it later idk