A Thousand Acres, by Jane Smiley

ccvick's review against another edition

slow-paced

1.5

hschwendimann's review against another edition

slow-paced

gwimo's review against another edition

good book, i guess. It's not my sort of book, but it's there and it exists.

reminds me of that Tolstoy story...about the land...and the guy who wants a lot of land...

jordangddrd's review

dark reflective sad slow-paced

katemdixon's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

cayleigh_sorella's review against another edition

Read for school.
Of all the King Lear adaptations I've been forced to endure this semester, it's by far the worst. The story itself is bad and there are pieces of the story I found particularly pointless and added in solely for shock value.
When it comes to the actual adaptation and how well it used the original source material, I find she did a good job. The redeeming parts was how she snuck in words and references of the actual play.

too_many_megans_2's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

Re-telling of King Lear

ryalcoll28's review against another edition

INTENSE!!!! The story of a domineering Iowan farmer who decides to incorporate his farm (and split it up equally between his three daughters) and the dramatic consequences of this action, this novel is really engrossing! Though the beginning was a little slow, it picks up fast, each event escalating into something more intense than the event preceding it. An examination of family, fidelity, love, farm ethos, etc, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a thoughtful (but thrilling) read. It's even more interesting if you've read Shakespeare's King Lear, the play Smiley contemporizes here (though her plot definitely does parallel the play perfectly).

mikewomack's review against another edition

I read King Lear just before this book and decided it was my favorite of Shakespeare's plays. Having read this book now, I am also equally impressed. In fact, I can almost give this book 5 stars. Excellent story and excellent execution of family dinamics. Great read and I will probably want to give it another star in a few weeks/months.

jeffs's review against another edition

A lovely piece of writing about farm politics and economics