The Demon, the Hero and the City of Seven by A.E. Kincaid

loganvw's review against another edition

[ebook] a fun little light fantasy work in the vein of Terry Pratchett. The main characters are likable and the book paces well. Some very silly moments.

nerdyfoxreads's review against another edition

“Magic, alcohol and early adulthood make a dangerous cocktail.”

jaylawrence's review against another edition

I'd been in a reading slump and this book restored my faith in the power of a good story. The humor was on point and I chuckled more than a few times. Cannot wait for the next book.

lorcanreads's review against another edition

The Demon, the Hero, and The City of Seven is a cute and whimsical story that left me giggling more than once. The story is easy to follow, the worldbuilding is great, and the characters feel well fleshed out. I especially enjoyed Mal! This book was more of a 3 star read for me, but that's a me problem, I think. It's fun and cute, sarcastic, and plays on your typical fairytale tellings. It just left me wanting a little more! All in all, it is an easy, quirky book that I would recommend if you like humour, fairytales, sarcasm, and adventure!

Special thanks to the author and booksirens.

kco820's review against another edition

greenvelvetreads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

bellesmith's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

cloodnook's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

mklinkenborg's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

Snarky demon gets paired up with an inept hero. Lots of hijinks and banter ensue! Fantastic world building. I can't wait to read the sequel!

louturnspages's review against another edition

“‘That sounds really dangerous,’ said Reginald, scratching the side of his nose. ‘Why risk it?’
‘To learn! To expand our knowledge of the universe!’ cried Goodfallow . . . ‘And, really, isn’t everything dangerous? I mean, even life kills you in the end.”

✨I didn’t really know what to expect when I started this one. I love fantasy as a genre and humor, but I haven’t really read many, any blendings of the two. However, what @aekincaidauthor does in this novel is actual magic. I literally (NOT figuratively) cannot remember the last time I laughed out loud so many times while reading, and I lost count of the number of times I stopped reading, and made my husband listen to a part I had just finished. He’s probably heard about a third of the book completely out of context at this point.

✨The thing is, it wasn’t just funny. This book had so much heart. Slide over for the full description, but I just wasn’t really sure what I was getting into when I read this book about a Demon and a Hero who are magically and accidentally stuck together. Ultimately, it felt like a mash-up of Lord of the Rings and Good Omens. Reginald is a hero who is as awkward and naive as possible, and Mal is a demon who just isn’t quite as good at being bad as he is ‘supposed’ to be. I adored the MCs and rooted for them throughout the story, and they grew in ways I didn’t see coming. It was heartwarming to see this unlikely pair rub off on one another as they became (don’t tell Mal) actual friends over the course of their adventure. I adored this book, and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

“‘A demon and a hero walk into a dragon’s den.’ Reginald grinned. ‘Sounds like the beginning of a joke, but how does it end?’ he said. ‘Probably in a horrifying, fiery death. He is a dragon, after all.’ ‘Way to make it morbid, Mal.’”

✨Thanks again to @aekincaidauthor and @rrbooktours for the chance to read this in exchange for a review!