Three Women, by Lisa Taddeo

liqabaldwin's review

This book is dark, intense, challenging. But it pulls you in from the start! I was enslaved by this book and could not put it down for wanting to find out what happens to each of the characters! Highly recommend this and will definitely return for another Lisa Toddeo!

robinfrost17's review

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

obiewilcox's review

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

candlecowboy's review against another edition

cw; sexual assault, statutory rape

Edit - ok I've been thinking a lot about this book and one thing that really bothers me is how it's called "Three Women" when most of the story around one character is her teacher engaging in a disgusting and inappropriate relationship with her when she's underage and there's some discussion (from external characters) about whether she was "asking for it" and it feels like a pretty big misrepresentation of her identity at the time to refer to her as a woman.

sophiemia's review against another edition

4.5⭐️

alishahobson's review

The book is raw and real, and THAT is why it deserves 5⭐️s

danibeliveau's review against another edition

A glimpse into the intimate lives of three women. Taddeo writes gorgeously, as though she is peering directly into these women’s brains and poetically reframing some of their sincerest thoughts and desires. What unites these women is their desperation in reconciling their sexual needs and their betrayals, both large and small, at the hands of their male partners. 4.5 stars.

svaughn's review

A detailed look at the sex lives and desires and 3 American women. While all three women are white and (mostly) heterosexual (disappointing but not entirely the authors fault as some other women opted partway through the process to pull out of the project and she honored those wishes), but I still found it to be a beautiful reflection on power, passion, and desire.

pixie_pal's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

msjoanna's review against another edition

This is a compelling, frustrating, problematic, powerful book. It's such a study in contradictions that it's nearly impossible to rate and review fairly.

Two of the many problems:
1. The marketing. This book is sold as an examination of women's desire. But it isn't really. It's a microstory of three particular women. Whose stories really aren't the least bit representative of women generally. Which is fine. But the marketing is off.

2. The selection of these stories. These are all white women who the author happened to convince to tell her all the details of their sex lives, which aren't all that happy really. That's fine. But why these subjects? How did this all work? We learn too much about the author's own mother and not enough about the author's actual research methods.

The book is really graphic, but it didn't feel prurient or exploitative. It felt real and vulnerable and heartfelt and depressing. These women are living largely unhappy or at least not fully satisfying romantic lives with little to no expectation or plans to change that. It's gripping reading because the stories are so raw and provide a much closer in look at what relationships are like than we often get. But it's frustrating because there's no rooting for these subjects really and no development--it's just a snippet of real life.

The narrators do a great job of bringing this book to life and I'm glad I listened to it in audio format. I recommend this format as long as you can stand to hear graphic descriptions of sex acts read out loud. Perhaps that's more squeamish than reading it in print for some readers/listeners.