Alone by Megan E. Freeman

nicolemhewitt's review

I know Megan's work well, so I was unsurprised to find that the verse in this book is utterly gorgeous--simple, understated free verse that is, at the same time, incredibly powerful. The story follows young Maddie, who is accidentally left behind when her town and the surrounding area is mysteriously and suddenly evacuated (her divorced parents each think she is with the other due to an unfortunately-timed lie). Maddie is left completely alone with only her neighbor's trusty rottweiler George to keep her company for four years! During that time, she has to scrounge for food and water and learn to survive in a world without power or running water (especially difficult due to the extreme weather in Colorado). Plus, she's forced to deal with wild animals, looters, and natural disasters--all on her own. Of course, the biggest challenge of all might be the unending loneliness that threatens to swallow her hope of rescue alive.

This book is a modern retelling of Island of the Blue Dolphins, and fans of that book will find that it's faithful to the original in many significant ways. I loved seeing each and every nod to O'Dell's classic. (I read it with a literature class that I taught at my homeschool co-op just a couple of years ago, so it was fresh in my mind. Teachers who want to pair this book with the classic will have lots of wonderful material to work with.)

This beautiful story of survival, inner strength, and hope will delight readers of all ages!

***Disclosure: I received this book from the author for review purposes, and since I am personal friends with Megan, I can't claim to be completely impartial on this one. Still, all opinions are my own (and, of course, no other compensation was given).***

tessajohnson's review

An exciting post-apocalyptic book. A story of survival and ingenuity. Just the right amount of excitement and fear for middle-grade readers.

lyndseyyyy's review

challenging emotional tense medium-paced

audreylynn14's review

This book was such an interesting concept, but the whole idea that they evacuated for no reason, and it's left so vague is cheap.  I'm so mad at the author for not taking the time to flesh out the world outside her.

aea_hobbit's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

aea_hobbit's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

aconyers's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

victorialynch's review

adventurous fast-paced

Super suspenseful title from the William Allen White list.

southernmomma's review

adventurous fast-paced

I fell in love within pages. I love that you don't know what has happened until the end. My son and I took turns making predictions.

erindecker's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful fast-paced