Reviews tagging War

A Court of Frost and Starlight, by Sarah J. Maas

baearles's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

sierrabedwell's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

I liked this book in general because it felt like an extra piece to the Court series. I think that if you’re looking for action and a plot to follow, you may be disappointed in this book. I liked it, because the main focus was about the characters’ reflection as they looked back at the war and looked on themselves and how they felt afterwards. Some struggled more than others, and some characters were still trying to figure out their love lives as well. Overall, I think this book was a good addition, but it isn’t absolutely necessary in order to understand the series. I do think that people should read it, nonetheless.
SpoilerI just wish that Nesta and Cassian would get together already!!! And Elain would speak with Lucien!

madisonogle3's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

Ok, this book is... I don't know really. The best way to express my feelings about it is that I have mixed feelings.

In honesty, I have more negatives about this book than positives, which upsets me because I like SJM a lot. Let's cover what I liked first. I enjoyed seeing the after-effects of ACOWAR and how everyone is doing. I thought that the inclusion of how Feyre is handling her position as High Lady was well done. I don't have any gripes about Feyre (which is surprising because she was the only character I didn't like from a writing perspective in all of the other books). She does her best to provide for everyone and make them happy, even when that's not the best thing to do. I appreciate the book pointing out Feyre's sometimes toxic behavior towards her sisters. She wants to fix everything for them and make their lives perfect, but what Feyre sees as "perfect" for them is not always what Nesta and Elain want for themselves. I loved the inclusion of Tamlin and Lucien in this book. SJM explores the aftermath of Feyre's actions in ACOWAR and how they affected Tamlin, physically and emotionally. I actually felt sorry for him at one point. Tamlin still messed up BIG TIME, but I do think he deserves a redemption arc. Lucien is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in this series and   I loved his scene (Wish it was scenes!) in this book. Without spoiling it, he said what needed to be said and I agreed with every word!

Now onto the bad things I have to say about this book. First off, no plot? There is no plot. None. Its just people going shopping then they have a conversation. Oh look it's Solstice, we're celebrating now! I guess my taste for action and intrigue was yearning for more. I don't like how most of the Inner Circle are treated in this book except for Cassian. The book used multiple POVs this time, but I feel like all of the other POVs besides Feyre's weren't fleshed out enough. The whole story could have just been from her perspective like before and it would have gotten the point across just as fine. (except for one scene in the end with Cassian and Nesta) I have a lot more in depth negative things to say, but I'll save them to keep this concise.

TLDR: Basically just a Christmas special. Wished it had done more to set up later books in the series.

tanvi45's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

arys_library's review against another edition

reflective fast-paced

I honestly didn’t think I’d love this book as much as I actually did. I love the acotar series, especially for the action, conflict, keeping you on the edge of your seat, etc. At first I was a little disappointed that this book was a novella and focused on the character relationships but the book came through!!!

I loved how we got to still see conflict, mainly internal conflict, and still got to dee the romance and tension;).

Honestly we got new perspectives on recurring characters like cassian , got to dee some depth into his usually carefree character. And some reasoning behind why nesta is as stubborn as she is. I loved it!

marisa_n's review

hopeful relaxing slow-paced

This felt like the book equivalent of a TV show Christmas special. It was cute and cozy. Reading about the winter festivities made me was to sit on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa. That said, it didn't really add anything to the series. There were no major conflicts or resolutions. Hopefully, it will provide some useful context for the next book in the series.

adibasultana's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

This was incredibly boring. I also hated the writing style - it was full of self importance. Like I get the idea I just think it could’ve been done better in a way that didn’t make me roll my eyes every few sentences.

emmacartlidge's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted tense slow-paced

hannibanani29's review against another edition