naiwyn100's review against another edition

challenging mysterious reflective relaxing slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

mehsi's review against another edition

I have wanted to have this book for quite a bit of time and I found it yesterday on a trip to Amsterdam. :)

What a fun and brilliant book this is. It features puzzles, riddles, conundrums but also a lot of information. About the characters, be them good or be them bad, and also articles, archives and various fun facts about the series.

I really enjoyed this book, and am happy that I got it. Now I am just hoping for a new book to come out someday with new mysteries and conundrums!

cocoonofbooks's review

This was pretty hit-or-miss. I think it would be best enjoyed immediately after finishing [b:The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection|8242755|The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1-3)|Trenton Lee Stewart|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1441936938s/8242755.jpg|13090271] when you're looking for a little more time with the series' characters and would enjoy the character profiles and quoted passages from the books. There was a broad range in difficulty level, from incredibly easy to incredibly challenging. Some had straightforward directions, but for quite a few of them I had no idea what I was even being asked to do, and had to look up the "Hints" section to even figure out what the puzzle was, then had no way of knowing if I'd solved it correctly.

Throughout the book there are red circles around various letters and numbers, which fill in a final puzzle in the back of the book. I wish that every puzzle throughout the book had had a red circle on one of the characters in the solution, but some of them circled letters in the instructions instead, so it made those solutions feel less important. Plus, since those solutions didn't carry forward to anything, and there wasn't an Answers section, there was no way of confirming that the answer was correct, which I personally found frustrating.

Again, I think this would be best experienced as an immediate follow-up to the original series, when you might have the most patience for ambiguous puzzles to solve like those the characters encountered. Picking this up independently long after finishing the series, I expected more straightforward puzzles — here's what you need to do, here's what you're trying to find — and that's probably the main source of my disappointment.

charlytroff's review

This was such a fun thematic puzzle book and I haven't even read the series yet (I got a little confused when I was trying to buy the actual novel and just went with it)!

The puzzles were really fun and some of them were actually really tricky. Some were really easy as well. There were some that I wasn't sure I got the "right" answer (it felt like there was more than one that fit or the one I came up with didn't feel right), but there was no answer key to compare against, so that was frustrating.

Overall, it was such a fun experience! If you enjoy puzzles, I would definitely recommend this! I can't wait to read this series now!

erielethemermaid's review

Can`t solve a few of the puzzles but it was amazing. I am forever befuddled by everything.