Abandon, by Blake Crouch

annacwick's review

This engrossing story kept me turning the pages. I loved how the author made parallels between the past and the present. Warning though, this book is a thriller, but it does earn its "horror" classification.

kaleenazag's review

This was definitely a different read for me. I went into this book ready to compare it to Crouch’s other book, Dark Matter, and I quickly found that the books are very different. Overall, I thought the first half of the book was very good, it kept me on my feet and wanting to know what happened over 100 years ago in Abandon. But, towards the end, I felt like the book just kind of drug on. I think it would have been a four star read for me if the book had wrapped a few things up at the end a little more quickly.

slxtty_academia's review

Edit: i just remembered Crouch uses "slender yet curvy" to discribe a women's CORPSE. 1 star.

I hated this enough to give it one star

jesabesblog's review

I'd call this horror instead of thriller. It's written well - I felt like I was there. I'm worried I'll have nightmares! (3.5 stars)

jlbrunelle's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

jason51's review against another edition

fast-paced

rabnbooks's review against another edition

I always enjoy a Blake Crouch novel, this one no exception. I enjoyed getting to know the numerous characters and their backgrounds and loved how the author wove together the duel timelines. Many times I cut a star off due to a poor ending but in this case I added a star thanks to the last quarter.

There were 2 reasons why it didn't get a 5* rating. I felt the story needed cut back a bit as it dragged in the late beginning/middle.

A major reason it was docked a point was the amount of words that I had to look up. Don't get me wrong, I love learning new words, but when I constantly need to pull up the definition, wiki or translate, sometimes every other paragraph, it gets old and takes away from the flow and overall enjoyment of the story. Now, I do not believe I am dumb. I have degrees in 2 different fields and am more outdoorsy than most other females I know so you'd think I'd be ok reading a mountain adventure fiction novel. Do you know what gorp is? (Trail Mix) Serape? (Shawl in Spanish) Amalgamation? (The action, process, or result of combining or uniting- he was talking about a lollipop

lyndis8377's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced

maggiefan's review against another edition

I fell asleep at least 10 times while reading this book, and it says something.

finallywakingup's review

The concept of this book and the telling of the story weren't bad but it just did not stop, one bad thing after another in both timelines. Almost everyone was greedy and willing to do horrible things to other people to get what they wanted and it became tiring quite fast.