Lark & ​​Kasim Start a Revolution, by Kacen Callender

alindstadtcorbo's review

Star Rating: —> 5 FULL, BRIGHT, GLIMMERING Stars

kopfinneres's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

itsalwaysbeenthis's review against another edition

Every now and then there's a book that just grabs you by your throat and doesn't let go even after you finished the story. This was that book to me, one I feel like I've been silently waiting for. This felt só relevant it's almost stupid. I'M FEELING SO MANY FEELS.

This story has so much love. The representation the issues it adressed the conversations it started the characters and their struggles and arcs!! And there was SO MUCH LOVE. Phenominal.

It focusses on love and acceptance and hate and injustice and cruelty and desperation. How do we fight the injustice in the world? How do we love and accept others? How do we take accountability for our mistakes? Do mistakes define people? How do we navigate through cancel-culture?
How do we love ourselves?

There was very little plot and the whole book is cramped with thought dumps but I thought the bluntness and chaos of the narrative were perfect. It was feverish and desperate and that felt really fitting.

I loved it, an understatement but for reasons I'm unable to put more words to.

kristiespacilova's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

sarahcosta307's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

elksy's review

This is hard for me to rate. The main characters are likeable and relatable, even as someone who hasn't been a Yound Adult for some time. The storytelling that some reviewers find confusing or chaotic made sense to my neurodivergent mind. And I love how this story takes teenagers' worries and questions and growth seriously.

But the central conflict of the novel (Lark not immediately telling their followers that a few tweets were accidentally posted by someone else) felt pretty overblown to me. I have spent over a decade on Twitter and cannot imagine caring if someone had "taken credit" for one single thread someone else posted on their profile (because the friend who wrote it didn't even WANT credit). The situation leads to plenty of worthwhile reflection on social media, cancel culture, and accountability, but it still feels slightly contrived to me. (Mostly I am grateful I didn't have a large online following at 17. My long-gone myspace blogs were embarrassing enough.)

This story has great characters, glorious representation, and abundant social commentary, with a sweet and satisfying ending. I just wish the main plot propellant had been a little more convincing.

vicisbookblog's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

mrsclarkcatlady's review

challenging slow-paced

1.5

fynn_noe's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

naomi_mahoney's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced