The Lost Boys of Barlowe Theater by Jaime Jo Wright

lkoehl's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

swozniak13's review against another edition

The alternating POVs and time periods were complicated. The story was too slow paced and did not hold my attention.

busymomsreadtoo's review

3.5 stars

imkevbo's review

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

I wanted to like this book so much more than I did. The writing was great, the story intriguing, but a times, it got a bit preach for me.

Oh well, give it a shot as you may enjoy it!

tris111's review

In 1915, Greta Mercy’s brother and two other boys go missing in the grand Barlowe Theater after she witnesses a woman in white drop her baby from the box seats. In present day, the theater strikes again when Kit Boyd’s best friend disappears on a ghost walk of the historic building. Both Greta and Kit must encounter possible paranormal activity and endure their own personal struggles to find the people they love.

chefvogt's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

bellesmoma2021's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

I finally did it — I read a Jaime Jo Wright novel, and I loved every single second. The Lost Boys of Barlowe Theater is an outstanding story. I was hooked from page one, and hated having to put this book down. The reason it has taken me forever to read a Wright novel is because I’m a baby. I have a hard time with books that are creepy or horror-like, and many, many people told me that Wright’s books fit the bill. I didn’t feel creeped out by this story at all. Rather, I felt enthralled by the mystery and suspense. Pages flew by because I had to know whodunnit…in both timelines. The structure of the story is my favorite aspect. I love how the mystery of the 1915 storyline permeated into the suspense of the 2023 storyline. Absolutely brilliant! Usually, when a story has two timelines, one timeline stands out as my favorite. In The Lost Boys of Barlowe Theater BOTH timelines were my favorite equally. I was excited to be in the timeline I was reading, but I also eagerly anticipated getting back to the timeline I had just left. What talent to be able to write two unique storylines at the same time that both make me want to devour pages. The characters are all excellently crafted. I love how the 1915 storyline made me feel like I was watching characters from an Edward G. Robinson flick. The characters felt gritty and real and complicated. My heart hurt hard for Greta. I wanted so badly to enter the pages of the story and hug her and tell her everything will be OK. My tiger-mama instincts reared pretty hard with Greta. And that made me love Oscar all the more. My heart will always swoon for a man whose #1 goal is to protect, and, boy, did Oscar protect Greta. I also love how the 2023 storyline felt so realistic. I could easily be friends with Kit. I respect how deeply she cares for others, especially the downtrodden, the poor in spirit, and those who are just a touch different from “normal.” Evan is a great hero. I heartily enjoyed his banter with Kit, but I also liked how he was not afraid to tell Kit truth even if it hurt to hear it in the moment. I appreciate how this novel ends for Kit and Evan…with possibility. When one finishes a story, the story is typically finished. But leaving The Lost Boys of Barlowe Theater is different. I am leaving this story feeling like it could still go on for Kit and Evan. I like the idea that these characters aren’t done yet. Like they could be out there in the world, growing into a happily ever after.

There is so much more to say about The Lost Boys of Barlowe Theater. I barely cracked the surface with this review. I didn’t touch on the lost boys, the abandonment issues of adopted children, the penchant in today’s society for “real-life” tv and ghost hunting, or the gaslighting people have always done in order to manipulate masses and masses of people. There is all that and so much more with this highly engaging, totally engrossing novel. If you are a fan of Wright’s work, if you love a good mystery and suspense story, and if you are a fan of characters that grip your interest from page one and refuse to let go, then you have to read The Lost Boys of Barlowe Theater. This story is SO, SO good!

I purchased a copy of this novel in eBook form from Amazon.com on October 9, 2023, in order to review. In no way has this influenced my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

randikaye's review

Oh my goodness, what a book! I have never read a Jaime Jo Wright book that I didn't like... but this one is definitely one of her best! From the first page, I found myself drawn into the story and it held me right through to the end.

Now, for those who have never read a Jaime Jo Wright book, you might be wondering what ghosts and psychic mediums are doing in a Christian fiction book? Believe me, that was my initial question when I read my first of her books. But don't let that idea sway you from giving it a chance. While she does a beautiful job of creating haunting and spooky tales that seem as if they have no other possible explanation... in the end, it's all explained in ways that make sense and are very much not what they seem. It's like the unmasking at the end of each Scooby Doo mystery! Even knowing this about the author, I still found myself thinking there was no natural explanation that would explain this one... and yet, that's exactly what happens! I love the mystery of it all! This book is a prime example of why Jaime Jo Wright it one of my favorites!

If you're looking for a spooky (but not too scary) read, this is absolutely one to check out!

**I received a complimentary copy for consideration. All opinions are my own.

annegirl's review

mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

ashleyraye's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced