The Unspoken Name, by A.K. Larkwood

inemuri's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

mxknits's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

monkeysbecausewhynot's review

adventurous funny mysterious tense slow-paced

riverstills's review

adventurous dark emotional funny medium-paced

champat12's review

adventurous fast-paced

morringhan's review

adventurous slow-paced

hobbleit's review against another edition

I actually hate reviewing books that I find boring because there is rarely that much to say about them. The Unspoken Name bored me so much that I cannot remember the much of the plot which is a shame because it the premise made it sound so promising: a young girl destined to be sacrificed to a god is instead taken and trained as an assassin. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Don’t let the blurb fool you because it really isn’t.

I read some of the reviews and they talked about religions and worldbuilding and, for the life of me, I cannot remember any of that. They talk of multiverses and it must have all passed me by because I have no memory of that. I was reading this alongside Moby Dick because I assumed that reading a modern fantasy at the same time as a classic would make the classic easier to read and I found Moby Dick to be a far more compelling read, cetology tangents and all.

There are only three things about the main character, Csorwe: her name rhymes with doorway, she’s an orc and she’s queer and since none of those things are actual personality traits, she makes a very bland protagonist. At one point another character is thinking that she has no personality but an author acknowledging that they haven’t bothered to write an engaging and interesting character is no substitute for actually doing it. The rest of the characters don’t fare any better, Tal being the only one I could stand to read for more than a few minutes. Yes, he’s annoying and cowardly but he also happens to be the only character with anything going for him. If only he’d been the protagonist.

I’ll give The Unspoken Name one thing, it is beautifully written but that only really serves to paper over the boring cracks. The plot is forgettable and the characters are bland. This is not a book that is going to stay with me once I’ve finished this review and I really do not have any interest in continuing on with the series. Life is far too short for boring.

bloomingeyes's review

adventurous dark slow-paced

misforawesome's review against another edition

A moody and strongly atmospheric world that skillfully unfurls around the bones of older works to get their flavour, while still being fresh and uniquely its own. The story focuses on the people who carry it and paints the politics and geography it passes though with broad, impressionistic strokes to let characters shine - but you just know if Larkwood wanted to she could fill in those details down to the colour of every grain of sand. The world is fullly fledged, but the author doesn't reveal any more of it than you need to know to enjoy the adventures of Csorwe and even, gods help us, Tal Charossa.

iimakis's review against another edition

I liked this book and it's worldbuilding. However, it didn't quite click with me during the first half (though there were many aspects i liked about it). The book kept getting better towards the end though, so will certainly be interested in reading the sequel.