Reviews tagging Child death

Piranesi, by Susanna Clarke

korinnagarcia's review

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

allyhoo811's review

dark hopeful mysterious reflective fast-paced

I'll make my comments about Piranesi brief, because I believe it is best to go into this one knowing as little as possible. Piranesi had the potential to be a 5 star read for me; it was a combination of everything I love (getting thrown into the middle of the story, a puzzle box feel, dark academia, allusions to classic myth). Unfortunately, I had to drop it down a star because, for me, the journey for this one was better than the destination. The ending just fell a bit flat. I didn't really feel an emotional connection and was left wanting something different (not sure what exactly, but not what we got).

I still would definitely recommend giving this one a read!

P. S. You don't need to keep track of all the dates, locations, etc. to understand the story -- don't waste your time with that.

trilllllllian's review against another edition

amkirby's review

mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

When I described this book to a few people as I was reading it, they said it sounded "very sad and lonely" and like something they could not read.

And it is, but it is also a beautiful meditation on existence, memory, identity, wonder, and the nature of reality. Beautiful because of its quiet sadness, it felt like stepping into an old cemetery to observe how nature has grown around the monuments to lives once lived.

claudiamacpherson's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I’ve always said that I like happy endings, and happy stories in general, but that’s not it exactly. Rather, I like my stories hopeful—if the overall message is about how sad and pointless life is, I absolutely do not want it. The premise of Piranesi is pretty bleak, and I would argue that it fits firmly in the category of dark academia, but Piranesi is one of the most stunningly kind and hopeful characters I have ever had the pleasure to read about.

This book is pretty light on action and heavy on description, which I loved and felt that it built the tension really well. I’ve always liked stories where the setting becomes one of the characters, and the House was such a beautiful example of this. I loved Piranesi’s relationship with the House and with nature in general. He believes so firmly that he is loved and will be taken care of by them.

Happy ending meter (no specific spoilers, just the vibe):
SpoilerBittersweet. With a story like this, there could be no truly happy ending, but this ending was about as good as it could get.

majowa's review against another edition

emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

wolfthorn's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious sad tense slow-paced

This book had been heavily recommended by two of my friends and both said they couldn't really tell me anything about the book as it would give too much away. I was very intrigued and excited to start reading it. My first thought was how short this book is which surprised me. And kind of relieved me as my previous book was almost 900 pages and a struggle.

The opening pages left me incredibly confused as there's no real information with regards to the setting or the characters. I really hoped that all would be explained before too long, however it took far too long for things to start to be explained. I was well over halfway through before I felt that there was any indication about what was going on. The information was then really slowly eked out and I found that to be quite annoying.
SpoilerI did wonder if the main character was in a different universe and possibly there against his will so it wasn't a surprise when that was finally disclosed.

Several things didn't make sense. The main character doesn't recognise several locations as being real places yet he never questions Italy which seems to indicate that he knows that exists. I didn't understand why he doesn't seem to have tried to leave the house/labyrinth or even go outside.

I was amused by the references to the Family Circle biscuit tin (I think every British family must have one of those somewhere!), and Doctor Who. On the whole, I didn't enjoy the book and I found it very dull. I got so fed up of reading all the Twenty-Third Western Hall and the Sixteenth Vestibule bits.
Considering how short it was, I think even so there was a lot of guff at the start that could have been removed without affecting the plot. This is the second book of Susanna Clarke's that I've read and didn't enjoy. It's a shame because she has interesting ideas but I think I just don't get on with her writing style.

megmav's review