Reviews tagging Confinement

ok7a's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

itisthelaw's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

yrlaevelyn's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective tense

allyhoo811's review

dark hopeful mysterious reflective fast-paced

I'll make my comments about Piranesi brief, because I believe it is best to go into this one knowing as little as possible. Piranesi had the potential to be a 5 star read for me; it was a combination of everything I love (getting thrown into the middle of the story, a puzzle box feel, dark academia, allusions to classic myth). Unfortunately, I had to drop it down a star because, for me, the journey for this one was better than the destination. The ending just fell a bit flat. I didn't really feel an emotional connection and was left wanting something different (not sure what exactly, but not what we got).

I still would definitely recommend giving this one a read!

P. S. You don't need to keep track of all the dates, locations, etc. to understand the story -- don't waste your time with that.

martinatan's review

adventurous challenging dark hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

What a lovely gem of a story with such a tightly revealed world. The perspective of the narrator told in the journal format was genius, and it was rewarding to experience how the mystery unraveled and answered my questions in the most surprising ways. The classical inspiration combined with a modern plot and the change in type styles to convey the narrator’s evolving point of view made this incredibly satisfying and awe-inspiring. It reminded me of Swiss Army Man and His Dark Materials in how it juxtaposes a timeless wonder for the world with sobering reality of human nature.

tiredtori's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective relaxing medium-paced

rachc's review

adventurous mysterious relaxing tense slow-paced

merin_aran's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

Many words spring to mind after reading this book! It is so incredibly unique and unlike anything I’ve read before. It’s truly breath-taking, beautiful, fantastical, eloquent, thought-provoking, rich and surreal...the list could go on, but none seem to really sum up my thoughts or do justice to this incredible book. It was so gripping; I devoured the book in a day because I so desperately wanted to see how the puzzle and mystery unfolded. In this sense it felt fast paced, but it was also slow and meditative; I felt so calm and at peace walking the halls with Piranesi. The mind-bending ideas and themes presented has given me so much food for thought and I adore the numerous allegories and questions that it has left me still pondering about. This truly is a masterpiece and deserves all the praise it gets. I will end this review with my favourite extract, a truly revelationary moment for me:
“I realised that the search for the Knowledge has encouraged us to think of the House as if it were a sort of riddle to be unravelled, a text to be interpreted, and that if ever we discover the Knowledge, then it will be as if the Value has been wrested from the House and all that remains will be mere scenery....The House is valuable because it is the House. It is enough in and of Itself. It is not the means to an end.”

house_of_hannah's review

adventurous dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

I'm having a hard time determining a rating for this book. I think in the end it's a high 3, low 4. My expectations were so vastly different than what the story actually ended up being. I have seen this recommended countless times to people who loved the book House of Leaves, but the only similarity is that it takes place in an unusual house.

From the description of the book I also thought that Piranesi was going to be a lot more alone. I really wasn't expecting much more in a cast of characters, so that kinda put me off a bit. The <i>type</i> of story this morphed into just wasn't what I was looking for at this time, so I felt myself losing interest the longer I read.

I honestly don't have many thoughts on this one in the end. I found the beginning to be much more interesting than the later half. Piranesi is a fabulous character, and I could listen to him talk about the House forever. Unfortunately, my expectations really let me down here, and got in the way of my potential enjoyment of the book.

trilllllllian's review against another edition

mysterious reflective sad slow-paced