Reviews tagging Vomit

Piranesi, by Susanna Clarke

woweewhoa's review

adventurous mysterious reflective medium-paced

Read this as my first book of 2022 and was really surprised. Its a story about a House that is Alive and Haunted(by the same thing that make it Alive). It is doing things with motives so far away from our own perception of things, that its a character in its own right.
This book is written Very well and the way it unweaves the mystery is expertly done revealing things to both the reader and our Protagonist at different times which got be really excited and at the edge of my seat to read more.
Its a short read, and after it establishes itself in the first/part of the second part, it goes for the races. I paced myself through this book through the past week, and that felt like a good course of action. The ending of each part kinda felt like the ending on a tv show.
This kinda got away from me, but if you want to read a story thought a limited first person view about A Place that is Alive, people trying to interact with that place in so many different ways, that ends up with a very interesting view of how identity exists and is formed, I Definitely recommend this book. Glad I started the new year with it :^)

octopus_farmer's review

adventurous mysterious reflective medium-paced

It was a novel about place more than anything else, and I see how its descriptions capture the imagination of everyone. It reminded me a bit of the Zoom the Cat’s picture books, in the mix of architecture and nature. I liked the plot fine but it was the character and place i liked most. I wish to know more about
Spoiler Raphael.

marisa_n's review

dark mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

claudiamacpherson's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I’ve always said that I like happy endings, and happy stories in general, but that’s not it exactly. Rather, I like my stories hopeful—if the overall message is about how sad and pointless life is, I absolutely do not want it. The premise of Piranesi is pretty bleak, and I would argue that it fits firmly in the category of dark academia, but Piranesi is one of the most stunningly kind and hopeful characters I have ever had the pleasure to read about.

This book is pretty light on action and heavy on description, which I loved and felt that it built the tension really well. I’ve always liked stories where the setting becomes one of the characters, and the House was such a beautiful example of this. I loved Piranesi’s relationship with the House and with nature in general. He believes so firmly that he is loved and will be taken care of by them.

Happy ending meter (no specific spoilers, just the vibe):
SpoilerBittersweet. With a story like this, there could be no truly happy ending, but this ending was about as good as it could get.

anger566's review

adventurous mysterious tense slow-paced

rieviolet's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I think what I liked the most was Piranesi himself as a narrator, how we slowly discover the house and the story connnected to it from his point of view.

It is a very imaginative story and certainly very unique, I was really captured by the first half and I still enjoyed the second one, but I think that as the plot progressed and we discovered the darker aspects of it, some of the initial brillance got lost, at least for me. It was still a very enjoyable read that I had trouble putting down (a good half of it I read in just one sitting) and a very well crafted story.

I also had some personal quibbles over the treatment of certain topics (mailny the only depiction of queerness and also a quite fatphobic description at the very end of the story that really annoyed me) that dimmed my general enjoyment of the book.

dyfjfy7's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

li_reading's review

dark mysterious reflective slow-paced

thebetterstory's review

hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective slow-paced

Well, that was a lovely thing.

I liked it best at the very beginning, when the World was all that Piranesi knew. His descriptions of the House, his errands, and the small shifts in life with which he marks time are enchanting, and reminiscent of one of my favourite of all books, The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

SpoilerEventually the real world intrudes. It is carefully done, and the way the mystery unfolds is gripping. It's to the book's credit that it understands that you, too, will grow fascinated with the House and have mixed feelings about Matthew/Piranesi returning to it. It's nice, too, that the way back isn't barred to him when he does.

I'll admit to being a little annoyed that the World
Spoilerrepresenting all the lost knowledge, magic and splendour of Ancient Man
is entirely Greco-Roman based, which seems a bit short-sighted given the immensity of the
SpoilerEarth and all its cultures. There isn't so much as a nod to anything that isn't strictly European-focused. It feels like a failure of imagination, or an old-fashioned colonial mindset, to think that's a good representation of all of humanity.

Altogether, however, it's easy to recommend—those who don't like the eventual thriller elements may well enjoy the quiet beginning, and vice versa. It's also short, and doesn't add any more than it needs to, which is refreshing in a world of bloated fiction.

fiorceline's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

What a strange and whimsical tale!

This cover needs a disclaimer: Piranesi is NOT a satyr. I was very disappointed.

It was very confusing at the beginning and I was bothered that it made no sense for Piranesi to know what an albatross is, or the meaning of wife and aristocratic. Once you start to get what is going on you can't put it down.