Reviews tagging Murder

Piranesi, by Susanna Clarke

serenfletcher_reads's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I've never read a book like Piranesi before and I hope I never do again because nothing will compare to the pure joy I felt whilst reading it. It'  best to go in without knowing anything about the plot of the themes (of course check the trigger warnings if necessary). I cannot reccomend this novel enough! It reignited my love of reading completely and for that I'll always be grateful.

nickel_'s review

adventurous challenging mysterious slow-paced

aelunny's review against another edition

mysterious reflective slow-paced

This was a fun trip into another world! If you ever wake up in the morning feeling like you could've just been created and had all your memories implanted, this would be an interesting story.

meaghanbethany's review

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

korinnagarcia's review

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

allyhoo811's review

dark hopeful mysterious reflective fast-paced

I'll make my comments about Piranesi brief, because I believe it is best to go into this one knowing as little as possible. Piranesi had the potential to be a 5 star read for me; it was a combination of everything I love (getting thrown into the middle of the story, a puzzle box feel, dark academia, allusions to classic myth). Unfortunately, I had to drop it down a star because, for me, the journey for this one was better than the destination. The ending just fell a bit flat. I didn't really feel an emotional connection and was left wanting something different (not sure what exactly, but not what we got).

I still would definitely recommend giving this one a read!

P. S. You don't need to keep track of all the dates, locations, etc. to understand the story -- don't waste your time with that.

martinatan's review

adventurous challenging dark hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

What a lovely gem of a story with such a tightly revealed world. The perspective of the narrator told in the journal format was genius, and it was rewarding to experience how the mystery unraveled and answered my questions in the most surprising ways. The classical inspiration combined with a modern plot and the change in type styles to convey the narrator’s evolving point of view made this incredibly satisfying and awe-inspiring. It reminded me of Swiss Army Man and His Dark Materials in how it juxtaposes a timeless wonder for the world with sobering reality of human nature.

tiredtori's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective relaxing medium-paced

woweewhoa's review

adventurous mysterious reflective medium-paced

Read this as my first book of 2022 and was really surprised. Its a story about a House that is Alive and Haunted(by the same thing that make it Alive). It is doing things with motives so far away from our own perception of things, that its a character in its own right.
This book is written Very well and the way it unweaves the mystery is expertly done revealing things to both the reader and our Protagonist at different times which got be really excited and at the edge of my seat to read more.
Its a short read, and after it establishes itself in the first/part of the second part, it goes for the races. I paced myself through this book through the past week, and that felt like a good course of action. The ending of each part kinda felt like the ending on a tv show.
This kinda got away from me, but if you want to read a story thought a limited first person view about A Place that is Alive, people trying to interact with that place in so many different ways, that ends up with a very interesting view of how identity exists and is formed, I Definitely recommend this book. Glad I started the new year with it :^)

juliloops's review