annekdotes's review against another edition

Turns out Boudicca "mercilessly burned key settlements [...] slaughtering their citizens" so maybe she isn't the best example, but that's also what makes this book interesting. In the Afterword, the authors say: "None of [these women] was perfect - some of them did terrible as well as wonderful things. They were morally complex people but we're here to celebrate their achievements rather than how 'nice' they were on the way." I love that - how these women are celebrated but not glorified. I learned about a lot of amazing women I didn't know yet as well as great new things about women I did know. This book is also wonderfully witty and I like how it connects all of these women's problems to our moderm everyday life struggles. Great read!

emma_m_mckie's review against another edition

fast-paced

georgiaand's review

informative inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

heather_lt's review against another edition

informative inspiring fast-paced

The premise of What Would Boudicca Do? is to help younger women navigate today's problems by asking... "what would [insert strong woman from the past] do?" It tells the stories of fifty exceptional women in history, how they overcame personal struggles, societal limitations, etc and how they flourished. The author then goes on to dispense advice or relate each woman's struggles to today's problems.

If you're looking for an academic take on these women you'll be disappointed with this book. It isn't a history book intended to give you pages and pages of factually accounts of these women's lives, but rather a lightweight, fun collection of facts and real-life stories aimed to inspire. It's written in a "chatty" style of narrative and full of pop culture references which gives it a very accessible tone.

I enjoyed learning about all of these badass historical women who tried their absolute best and who fought, morally or not, to be heard. Appreciated the mix of the familiar and lesser known figures, a lot I'd never heard of! Also appreciated there wasn't an accompanying men are terrible vibe as these type of feminist literature books tend to have. This one actually pays homage to the men who fought for gender equality, encouraged and supported their wives / daughters, etc in the afterword. Bonus points for that.

bgranthowell's review

informative lighthearted

manon_00's review against another edition

informative fast-paced

misscatw's review against another edition

informative

niamh_d's review against another edition

There's been a trend recently of books that celebrate women of history and write little excerpts about them that reveal their place in history that's more often than not been glossed over. From 'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls' to '21 Women of British History', the genre is starting to become vastly oversaturated- enough that it's difficult to have any kind of differentiation between these books. This one is different.
Rather than just talking about different women, this one gives you reasons why they're badass, reasons why they stood out amongst others in their fields and during the periods of time they were alive. For example- 'Mae West and body positivity' is one of my personal favourites, purely because I've done a lot of work on females in film and how they work against stereotype. This book will make you feel better about the world. It'll make you look at everyone from Coco Chanel to Frida Kahlo and examine what made those women great and how much they have in common with women of today. I think it's an excellent read for ladies of any age. It'll teach you how to win at life- but generally, just make you feel a little better about the state of the world.

abookishwasp's review against another edition

informative

cosy_novel_niche's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced