Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

chelseaec's review

AMAZING

nicolekg's review

adventurous funny lighthearted tense medium-paced

linndt's review

adventurous emotional hopeful sad tense fast-paced

This book is older and it shows in certain aspects. I am a sucker for dystopias, so that always gives points and the different places getting described was great worldbuilding. Also the povs leading into each other was cool. The plot twist made sense and was surprising
if you don't distrust strange men
but otherwise it was a good book, wish the romance was a bit slower. Overall it was a good book, there were some things I could not take serious
, like the fucking alpha wolf thing, and when she asks to be his alpha female, I was and still am dying at that!!

raspberryicedtea's review against another edition

3,5 bis 4 Sterne

micagalvn's review against another edition

4.5/5⭐

CADA VEZ SE PONE MAS BUENA ESTA SAGA DIOS MIO

idonttcareeeee's review

i love wolf and thorne with all my heart

brookeknowsbooks's review

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

rainhaunted's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

edshara's review

This book took some true determination to get through it, in the beginning and well into the middle. Then around Chapter 19, it started to get good and I actually wanted to keep reading it. For the most part I'm enjoying Marissa Meyer's take on fairytales, although I will say the whole Scarlet and Wolf storyline is a little over the top for me. I mean really, from what he is to all the lies and betrayal, it was just kind of gag me with a spoon. But I kept at it...

Cinder was a bit annoying to me. I mean I know she just learned quite a bit about herself and I'm sure she's in shock, but I guess I just don't have the patience for that. This type of storyline has been used so many times, at this point I'm just like get your self together and do what you need to do, to save the world.

I really enjoyed how well written the action sequences were. I can appreciate a little blood and gore. For my tastes it was just the right amount. Overall it was a decent read, but only worthy of 3 stars and I think that's being generous. We'll see how the next one goes. I'm so glad I'm reading these so far removed from their release and ending of the series, Cress is already checked out and waiting for me to read. I'll keep going as long as I'm still interested in how it ends.

freadomlibrary's review against another edition

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Check out my series review here: https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/2017/01/27/series-review-the-lunar-chronicles-by-marissa-meyer/

Critically
Plot – 4 out of 5 stars
Plot wise this book definitely stepped it up in the series. The various story lines as well as the original stories are starting to intertwine which makes it much better for me because this one didn’t feel as predictable as the first. It was interesting and entertaining. It was action packed, fast paced and much more gruesome than I expected. I definitely enjoyed this particular story much more.

Writing Style – 4 out of 5 stars
Again, the writing style is really simple and straight forward. I think the author does a great job with connecting the existing stories together as well as with the original ones. It’s detailed, descriptive and engaging. I think the distinction between POVs was much better than the first book, I felt like I was reading about and from different people.

Characters – 4 out of 5 stars
I wasn’t the biggest fan of the characters from the first book, there was nothing that really captivated me about them. However, this book got so much better! Not only did I feel like they were more distinct in their voices and personalities, but I think the fast paced plot helped make me care more about what was happening to the characters.Scarlet became an instant favorite. She’s just so fierce! She’s determined and stubborn. I love how caring she is and how she doesn’t back down. She listens to her gut and follows it no matter what, that’s so inspiring to me. She’s loving to the people she cares about and takes awhile to warm up to others. I think she’s badass and I want to read more from her point of view.
There are also many more side characters introduced in this book. Wolf is one of them and he’s pretty great in my opinion. He has such a powerful presence and he’s fierce and apologetic. But you still get the sense there’s more to him than meets the eye. However, there was one character that was introduced in this book that blew everyone else out of the water and that is Thorne. I absolutely loved him, he stole the show for me. He’s hilarious, a bit self-centered and just a great character overall. I’m a big fan of him.

Emotionally
SpoilerI definitely think that this series is over hyped. But at the same time, I think that it got better and better with each book and that was really fun.

(For some reason, 2015 me thought it was totally okay to just talk about the characters in the plot section so be warned). I enjoyed this second book a lot more than Cinder but there are still some things holding me back from really falling in love with the series.

The plot was action packed. Cinder escapes from prison with a straggler tagging along while we meet Scarlet who is searching for her Grandmother who she believes has been kidnapped and she gets some unlikely help to try and find her. This book is kind of divided into three storylines: Kai in the palace, Cinder getting the fuck outta dodge, and Scarlet traveling through France. The Cinder & Kai parts of the book were okay. Cinder was kind of petulant and in denial. She kind of annoyed me a bit. Iko was amazing as always and I loved how she didn’t disappear and how she’s such a ray of freaking sunshine. Thorne became my new favorite which I talked about above. He was absolutely hilarious and such a unique character with so much life that everything was made so much more entertaining with his presence. That’s pretty much why I loved him, I enjoyed the book so much more because of his little anecdotes and self-centeredness haha. I liked how the three characters mentioned above worked together. Even though they didn’t know each other (well, Iko and Cinder didn’t know Thorne), this unlikely partnership happened and they managed to look out for each other. They made a good team and kicked ass when necessary. The action was top notch in this book. Things are escalating and there’s a lot of fast paced and treacherous things happening. From Cinder getting out of a prison, to a bunch of the things that Scarlet had to go through, the action was really fun to read and made me interested in the book much more than I was with the first one. In this book, Kai got on my last nerve. He’s being really stupid and I just don’t care to know what he’s going through right now. He’s the only one that’s still oblivious to Cinder and who she is and he’s gotten himself into a crazy pickle that I don’t know how he’s gonna manage to get out of. The Scarlet parts of the story were much more calm when it came to action but more emotionally tense. She’s really determined and single minded. I loved how much of herself she put into everything, she wanted so much to find her Grandma and she did everything in her power to make that happen.

When I read this book, I didn’t really see any correlation with the original story, until I sat down and really though about it and I went: oh shit! I see what she did there! I really liked this one much more than the first book.

Overall, I don’t think this series should be as hyped as it is but I still really enjoyed reading it. The first book was really predictable but they all just got better and better, more action packed, more entertaining and I think the last book was the best finale possible. I am now a fan of this crazy cast of characters and I really like how they all grew and developed as people throughout their whole ordeal. Will definitely think of checking out more of Meyer’s books.