Avalon High, by Meg Cabot

alhaider's review against another edition

Avalon High is a cute teen read by Meg Cabot. I think it would be best for middle school readers. Interesting use of the an old english tale this book is a love story.

I think my middle school self would have liked it.

marylene's review against another edition

kslhersam's review against another edition

Not my favorite Meg Cabot book. I thought it was a little weird at the beginning but it did get better. It was a high school version of the story of King Arthur, which I don't know all that well. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

lynds_davis's review against another edition

This is something like the fifth reread.

It’s been a while, and as an adult the writing style (to make Ellie sound like a teenager), hasn’t aged too well.

But. I still love this story. The ending always gets me. It always makes me feel warm and fuzzy and loved inside.

Such a fun book.

akmargie's review against another edition

Such a fun play on Arthurian Legend. And from the female perspective. Wish she would write a true sequel and not those silly graphic novels.

princesschristie's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

absoluteshannonigans's review against another edition

I'll read anything stamped as an Arthurian tale.

The book was pretty decent. Light, fluffy YA. Flew through it in a few hours. The ending was weird. I think I would have enjoyed it more if the Arthurian aspects weren't deliberately pointed out. Considering that this is a YA book and possibly an introduction to some readers I can forgive it.

Definitely pick up if you enjoy Arthurian stories (however far removed) and want a quick read.

thekillingedge's review against another edition

... Huh. I don't even remember where or how I got this book. It was probably through one of the book-trading/swapping sites I have been a part of over the years. But I know that I put it on my shelf and didn't even pick it up for quite some time. I am not a huge fan of YA books but every now and then I toss them in to break up my usual authors and subject matter.

I was pleasantly surprised by Avalon High. Not that it was "Oh my goodness, that was fantastic writing!" because it wasn't. But it was not that sub-par crap that people write nowadays and get best sellers out of them because teenage girls are obsessed with vampires. You know who I am talking about. Anyway, what impressed me was the theme. Reincarnation? Not a new idea. King Arthur? Old legend. It is not often that I actually learn new things from a fictional book; I didn't know several key points of the Arthurian legends and found them out in this book. Granted, I was never a huge fangirl over King Arthur and such--I much prefer my Greek and Norse mythology--but everyone knows the basic story.

I was learning. I was reading. And I tried to put myself into the shoes of the target audience. Would they recognize the history lessons and be immediately turned off? No. And that is what surprised me. My hat off to Meg Cabot for managing to make history entertaining while not being historical fiction! I actually want to find and read the manga now to see what happens next.

antara19's review against another edition