Reviews for Insurgent, by Veronica Roth

ashleylin1130's review against another edition

Insurgent was not as captivating as Divergent. But still good. You think you know what might be coming at the end. But it caught me by surprise.

morningstar916's review against another edition

I literally read this one sitting. I loved this book too. It had a men and black kind of feel. I love the sci-fi that comes into the book.

oliviamunrow's review against another edition

[bc:Insurgent|11735983|Insurgent (Divergent, #2)|Veronica Roth|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1325667729s/11735983.jpg|15524542]Of the post-apocalyptic and/or dystopic YA I've been reading (and there is so much of it lately!), [b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899] is probably the most promising start once the ridiculous premise is forgiven, and Insurgent is mostly also pretty solid— not in the least because it promises that the third book will explain that ridiculous premise, which I was not really expecting an explanation to at all. Kudos for that!

The biggest problem Insurgent suffers from, and to be honest that a lot of novels suffer from, is that the main characters make nonsensical choices or have ridiculous arguments seemingly just to further the plot, rather than because they make the least lick of sense. Tris and Four fall victim to some of this, with Four acting pretty rude (why does Tris always need to be the one who has to understand his side? Why can't he understand hers more), and it's unclear what impact this will have in the finale.

The direction the plot is taking is definitely not one I would have guessed, although I have been curious about what the world is like outside of the city in which Divergent takes place. So often these apocalyptic series don't talk about or pay only lip service to other areas— I recently watched a dystopian anime that focuses on a particular Japanese metropolis that has adopted a remarkable crime-prevention system and does not really talk about whether it is in use elsewhere —that I guess I just didn't expect it to go there, but go there it apparently will.

So I guess if the biggest weakness of Insurgent is some of those character interactions, its biggest strength is that it makes the third book look quite promising. Can't wait!

aarhodes's review against another edition

Maybe 4.25?

sofiam97's review against another edition

There are things that I really like about this book. Like the fact that there's not just one Divergent - there's nothing that I hate more than when a character is the only person that can do something for no apparent reason. I also liked how Tris had friends. Another thing I hate - books where the story is just about the romantic pair, especially when it's teenagers because teenagers have friends. At least, most do.

There were also others things that I disliked. I'm the type of person that picks up a book when it has nothing to do, even if it's just to read two pages and in this book I finally saw what my friend warned me about this series. The action takes place too quickly. One milisecond everything is fine, the other everything is in ruins. You might say that that's life; most things change in just a few seconds but honestly, I just didn't like it.

The romance itself... I see no chemistry between Four and Tris. I'm glad there's no romantic triangle but this romantic pair... I don't know, I just don't understand it. They're always fighting or making out. That pretty much sums up their relationship.

The other thing I can't get behind is the story itself. The idea of factions just isn't one that I can see coming true. And there was all the fighting that I honestly have no idea how it's going to end. It just doesn't seem to be worth it.

In a way, humans are characterized in a very real way - they're always fighting and always think they're doing it for a good reason (it's not, btw), but I just... I don't know. This book isn't a two for me, but it doesn't reach the four either.

Still, now that I've come this far I'm going to end this series.

danni_chambers67's review against another edition

I liked the book. And personally I love the plot and the characters and how we see more and learn more about them.

sofialister's review against another edition

10 year old me described this as: not as good at the one before
now i say: it was downright boring as fuck. i could not tell you a single thing that happened because not a single thing did

idakeller's review against another edition

A perfect sequel in this amazing trilogy, but that cliffhanger…

justonemiss's review against another edition

Because there is a third book, I expected to be left hanging but Veronica Roth did well with this one because I really want to find out what happens next. She managed to shape more personality into the characters in this book which is great. Good read.

mariahsmith23's review against another edition

Not as good at as the first one. But I still love it. There is a bit more angst between Tris and Four in this one. If you didn't like Divergent which I don't know why you wouldn't I wouldn't suggest reading this one. Although a lot of stuff does happen in it so if you're still curious to find out what happens read it.