Tales from Outer Suburbia, by Shaun Tan

aurora_blues's review against another edition

I liked two books by Shaun Tan in a row but this? ughh boring.

bookgirlsummer's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

lesmel's review

I would happily read/peruse anything Shaun Tan illustrates. His artwork is exceptional. His illustrations are detailed and have depth.

antlersantlers's review

All of the stories are so odd and lovely, and the illustrations are absolutely perfect, although it's Shaun Tan so no surprise there. In a lot of ways this book reminds me a lot of [b:The Mysteries of Harris Burdick|402114|The Mysteries of Harris Burdick|Chris Van Allsburg|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1391538985s/402114.jpg|489077]. The stories are strange and cryptic, but there is so much opportunity for imagination and agency. A bit of the story is there, and the rest you can create yourself.

pratyush's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing

deno96's review against another edition

dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

librarykristin's review against another edition

More adult appeal than teen, but a weirdly profound collection of shorts...reminds me of George Saunders work, though with less humor.

ilovewongkarwai's review against another edition

Lo leí en un ratito y qué cosa tan genial. Mis historias favoritas fueron grandpa's story, the nameless holiday y alert but not alarmed, pero todo el libro es increíble.

ozblom24's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious reflective relaxing fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

kabukiboy's review against another edition

I like reading books and I like reading comics but for some reason I don’t enjoy when the formats are combined. Some great art in this book though.