Onyx, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

inferiorcaitlin's review

Reread. Worst book in a delicious trash series. Classic book two "let's make our main character dumb for no reason."
But I remember book three being good. So fingers crossed.

jessiplants's review against another edition

JLA really can't do wrong! This series is nothing compared to the Blood and Ash series, but it is YA and older. The story is quite interesting, albeit a little predictable every once in a while. I do find myself continuing the series, because the cliff hangers always get me! lol. So I'd give it a solid 3.5 stars (:

jaimielea's review against another edition

I'm so emotionally attached to these characters that I hate to end the book. Its soo good. My only problem I start to believe that I am Katy and that Dameon is in love with me. It hurts to close the book and realize that it was just good writing. So sad I have to wait till Nov to read the 3rd. Like the girl in charlie and the chocolate factory famously said " I WANT IT NOW!"

laurabenson's review against another edition

I'm really liking Daemon more and more. I think we'll definitely see more of Blake. And Interesting turnaround with DB back.

dukesangel002's review against another edition

Find more of my reviews at www.readingangel.com

I think my love for all things Jennifer Armentrout is well known at this point. If not then I'm not sure where you have been. Onyx did not disappoint EITHER time I read it! That's right, I've already read it twice!! I devoured it again yesterday in one day. It's just that good! I had to re-live every pen poke, every "hey kitten", every sexy sexy Daemon moment all over again and it was even better the second time around. (I'm not sure how that's possible, but it was.)

For anyone who read Obsidian and wasn't a fan of the more jerky side of Daemon, you will all be so pleased when you read Onyx. The Daemon in Onyx, while still snarky, is sweet, romantic, protective, and completely drool-worthy. (Although I have found him drool-worthy since he first showed up at the door with his shirt off...but, you know ...) Katy, too, has grown. She is no longer timid in any way. Katy is MAD about the way Daemon treated her in the last book, and a few gifts and sexy looks aren't going to make up for that. Boy's going to have to work harder than that to prove his worth to her. I love how during all the tense suspenseful moments, suddenly Daemon or Katy will suddenly throw this funny barb at you that will have you rolling with laughter.

Dee is not in Onyx as much as she was Obsidian, and while that fit the book, I missed her something crazy. She is one of my favorite characters in the Lux series, so I really enjoyed what I did get of her, and really hope for more of her in Opal. There are a lot of new players in Onyx, and some old players we thought were possibly out of the game for good, and it all escalates to one shocking revelation to who is really betraying them all. I was on the edge of my seat praying that they all made it out alive.

Onyx is one of those book that you just have to stop and hug every so often! What?? I'm the only one that does that? I don't think so!! There were so many heart-wrenching or touching moments that I would literally just close it and squeeze the book tight! If I haven't convinced you to pick up a Jennifer Armentrout book yet then I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, for the love of hot aliens everywhere, read this series!!

jennyy2's review against another edition

Read in february 2013
Reread in december 2015

jmccarren's review against another edition

LOVED this book! Daemon and Katy make an awesome pair and the fact that Katy doesn't just bend over backwards and submit to Daemon once he is ready to admit feelings made me so happy. She really does hold her own.

This novel introduces us to the hybrid race and you get to learn as they learn because they don't understand it either. I actually really liked reading this one from Daemon's POV in 'Oblivian' because he is much more sincere in his own head.

samantho1's review against another edition

Bloody hell. My emotions were all over the place in this one. But the ending made me really happy!
Review: http://thesecretlifeofabookworm-x.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/onyx-by-jennifer-l-armentrout.html

cocahina's review against another edition

3.5 stars. I like the storyline and the characters. The buildup was good but the climax felt rushed. Nice cliffhanger going into book 3, though. Interested to see what happens next.

reviewsfromabookworm's review against another edition

For more reviews, please visit http://reviewsfromabookworm.blogspot.co.uk/

I am loving the Lux series and thought this was a pretty good sequel, but have to admit to not liking it as much as Obsidian. The plot didn't run so smoothly for me and I felt a lot of the sexual tension that made the first book so amazing was absent for most of the second half of this book.

Katy and Daemon are still great characters. They keep me flipping the page till ridiculous-0'clock in the morning just so I can see what happens between them. So it's kind of unfortunate that the sexual tension/amazing passion between them seems to disappear for so long in the second half of this book. But, on the super positive plus side, Daemon is less of a dick in this one. YAY! Gah, I kind of love that boy.

The storyline was something I enjoyed but also had issues with. It seemed to just plod along in places and I got a little bored. The introduction of Blake, a guy who seems to know a lot about what has been happening to Katy since Daemon healed her, was something that worked really well. He helps her train and was great for the story because it was so fun to see Daemon get all jealous. However, I felt there were way too many chapters that had Katy and Daemon arguing over her training with Blake, I got super bored of it super quickly.

This one didn't remind me of Twilight at all, but did have some obvious references - referring to Dee, who is so incredibly Alice, as a pixie at one point, and the whole irrevocably in love thing. Made me think the author was doing it on purpose and it made me smile!

This one had a really action-packed, exciting ending that had me flipping the pages so fast my fingers hurt. I was left kind of devastated as well, because the ending was really sad and really shocked me. If you enjoyed Obsidian than I definitely recommend this. It's a solid sequel, yes I was bored in parts but I love these characters and the story picks up again at the end.

3.99/5

I gave Obsidian 4, but I enjoyed this less and felt I needed to score it lower.... not that much lower though!