A Local Habitation, by Seanan McGuire

msmori's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

thebookcoyote's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book! It was highly entertaining. I like the characters and the world McGuire has created. Toby is also a great heroine, and it's nice to see strong women in books.

elke_go_read's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

christinab's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

shelleyrae's review against another edition

I found it hard to rate this book but I decided to be generous and go for four stars. What I appreciate about Toby is that she doesn't back away, she rarely falls prey to the self doubts that seem to cripple other heroines in other genres, she simply focuses on getting the job done. She doesn't rely on anyone to provide her support, or to come to her rescue, she just sucks it up and keep going, a trait I admire.
Perhaps this single minded focus can be used as an explanation for the downside of the book - the clumsy mysteries that were easy to see through too early in the book. Far too early the main suspects were clear, though the motivations were well hidden. This was the downside for me as it lost the tension.
There are some unique features to this novel, a blend of faerie and technology that is intriguing, a variety of fae and some interesting politics.
Tybalt makes a few brief appearances, I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. Connor's appearance seemed a little out of the blue, and then he faded away near the climax so I'm not exactly sure what point he served.
I am looking forward to McGuire really finding her feet in this series.

melodicfate's review against another edition

Yes, I liked book one so much, I immediately rushed to read the next installment in this series. I can't say that I regret it, even though the pace did drag a bit for me in the middle. Also, Toby ignored some of her instincts, and that was a bit annoying. There was more Tybalt in this novel, which I liked. Annoyingly, there was more Connor as well. I like him, but this whole thing with he and Toby is getting in the way of my Toby/Tybalt love. I liked the whole technology aspect to the book, especially since Toby is still trying to reconnect to the world after her fourteen-year-long absence. The world just continues to grow in this series, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

mmmmazey's review against another edition

Predictable. Knew who done it by chapter five.
The hero concept was beat to death in this book.
I was bored and had a hard time finishing it.

Gave it a three because I liked the fantasy part of the story.

ninetyninecats's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad tense medium-paced

tjohnston02's review

mysterious fast-paced

delaneybull's review against another edition

This was good! It suffered a little from being confined to the office building for most of the book, and the characters revolved around the same plot points a little too much. Also, it was a little predictable, but it didn't totally ruin everything. I'm looking forward to seeing where Toby's relationships with some of these side characters go.