A Local Habitation, by Seanan McGuire

lalabristow's review against another edition

Rating: 4 and a Half Stars!

Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

*Doesn’t Contains Spoilers!

Seanan McGuire’s October Daye series has definitely taken a spot in my heart, even though I am not a huge fan of the Fae as a Paranormal Fiction subject. Seanan writes great characters, an interesting world and stories that definitely grab my interest and have me not wanting to put the book down. After I fell in love Rosemary and Rue, I was really looking forward to the next books in the series and Seanan did not disappoint me in the least.

A Local Habitation and An Artificial Night are amazing reads that had me glued to the pages until I finished them. We get to learn more about our heroine October and see more of the Fae world she feels she doesn’t belong to. I loved getting more about Tybalt and how his and Toby’s relationship is evolving. I see a lot of potential for those two, but there is a long way to go before they are ready to be together and I can’t wait to be witness of their journey.

Seanan McGuire has a definite winner on her hands with this series, she has built such a compelling world and characters that it’s impossible not to care. I really enjoy the way she weaves the plots and doesn’t fall on common places, I always feel like she is surprising me and that is not easy to do.

I totally recommend this series to any Urban Fantasy out there, it is absolutely a must read!

sjgochenour's review against another edition

More coherent and less horribly sad than the first book. Pretty damn engrossing, too.

straystarlight's review against another edition

I only took a 9-year break after the first book. That's not too bad, right?

alusetti's review against another edition

I’ve found the October Daye novels have been harder for me to get into. I love everything else written by Seanan McGuire, so it’s a bit of a surprise that each of these have taken me longer to read than I would like. This one was easier than the last. It might be the world building aspect. I’ll keep reading for sure.

stiricide's review against another edition

I don't know how to rate this because, on one hand, after like twenty of their novels (and, granted, this is early in McGuire's work!) this is the worst Seanan McGuire novel I've read. But, on the other hand, "worst Seanan McGuire novel I've ever read" is still leaps and bounds above other books I've read and hated? If you're a completist, you've gotta suffer through it. If you can skip around and still be happy with your life, you can absolutely skip this.

vervain's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad slow-paced

master_jedi_reader's review against another edition

Actual rating 2.5. Meh there were elements of the story I found interesting, however overall I felt it was lacking and repetitive. Nothing really happened to move Toby's development as a character forward. Other reviews described this book as a 'filler' book; similar to filler episodes in anime, place holders in a series until the main story arc resumes. I find myself agreeing with this description. That's not to say that fillers aren't interesting and enjoyable. My biggest complaint I guess is that considering that this is only the second book in the series I was kind of expecting more story propelling content and less...fillerishness. A trusted friend assured me that the series really starts picking up and hitting it's stride in the next book, so I shall trust there judgement (for now :-p ) and venture onward to libro tres.

rachelini's review against another edition

Still enjoying this series. I don't really feel like it's going anywhere - the characters aren't particularly changing or evolving - but I liked the story and the continual addition of different types of fae/other creatures.

cassandragw's review against another edition

3.5 stars - while I really enjoyed it overall, there were also several incredibly frustrating aspects (am I really supposed to have faith in a character who is meant to be a PI but doesn't work out something *incredibly* obvious until it's literally spelled out for her?! I kept thinking it meant the answer was going to be more complicated/interesting, but no...) which just nudged it down from 4 stars. Definitely not enough to turn me off the series though!