kikiandarrowsfishshelf's review

Disclaimer: I received an ebook ARC of this book via a giveaway at Librarything.

Gaslight Gothic is a collection of ten stories that combine Sherlock Holmes with gothic literature, in terms of style and characters. Poe makes an appearance in one story as does Hyde for example. Most of the stories are more gothic in style and plot than borrowing characters.

As in the majority, if not all, short story collections, the stories are a mixed bag. Many of the them follow the conceit of having Watson write the stories. In “The Strange Adventure of Mary Holder”, Nancy Holder nails Watson’s voice the best. In many ways, she also captures the character of Holmes the best. “The Cuckoo’s Hour” by Mark A. Latham is also a strong contender for best story in the collection. It does remind the reader of the Holmes stories that take place on a country estate. James Lovegrove’s use a well-known gothic tale works extremely well.

The use of Holmes and the gothic novel does seem to fill a hole in the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre that I didn’t know needed filling.

vesper1931's review

A collection of ten Sherlock Holmes stories of varying standard but the one that stood out for me was “Father of the Man by Stephen Volk" apart from being a good well-written and interesting story it contained the characters of Edgar Allan Poe and Auguste Dupin.
Received an ARC from LibraryThing

aimiller's review

I will say right off the bat, I received a copy of this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, and I'm grateful to the publisher for the opportunity to read this book.

This was a really interesting collection of mysteries, all different enough to not feel like the same material over and over again, and yet definitely feeling connected and in touch with the gothic theme. I think my favorite story was the first one, but each one was interesting in its own way, and each story was sort of bite-sized enough that I raced through this book. If you love gothic, and/or Sherlock Holmes, you'll definitely want to pick this up.