Muse of Nightmares, by Laini Taylor

bloom9159's review

I’m already calling it, this is the best book I’ll read in 2019.

This book blew my god damn mind! We get an even deeper look into an already extraordinary fantasy world, and a new perspective adds a layer of intrigue and mystery. When things converged at the end? I could not STAND IT in the best of ways!

Highly emotional and extremely gripping, I especially enjoyed that this book is all about what I would call the “after” of a traditional story. The true bad guy in this series is already dead before the start of the first book. So where does that leave the survivors, in the midst of the “after”? It’s a theme explored in the first book for sure, but is really deepened in Muse of Nightmares as we explore the guilt, shame, and rage of characters who were put in situations where they didn’t have any good choices.

This book gave me chills, and I am ready and willing to read literally everything Laini Taylor has published and ever will publish. It doesn’t get any better than this, folks.

3ves's review

Painfully white and painfully horny.

Full review pending.

harasdlaeh's review

challenging emotional tense slow-paced

kasiareads's review

I FUCKING NEED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I LITERALLY CAN NOT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK.

...
Ruby huffed a half laugh.
"it sounds like you're on her side."
"Don't be simple," said Sparrow. It was so easy to call sides, and so unhelpful.
"we're all on the same side. Even her. You can be on the same side and have different ideas." (pg 110)

...

YOU GUYS OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS.

If I thought I was over the moon in love with Strange The Dreamer, then Muse of Nightmares has brought new meaning to loving a book.

I love this book as if it were my own child. It was just everything I wanted that I didn't even know I wanted.

...

So, we start out with 2 new characters, Kora and Nova, sisters. There is definitely a tragic backstory and I was so here for it. I almost cried reading their story, the love that these 2 sisters share for each other, and the lengths they would go through to help each other is simply breathtaking. One of these sisters turns out to be a very pivotal person from the first book and a lot of the puzzle pieces start to click. The first chapter, I was definitely confused (as everyone was I'm sure) because we had no context as to who Kora and Nova are, but as the story progressed, my yearning for their story grew as well.

...

We then move on back to where Strange the Dreamer left off, back at the Citadel, Sarai is still dead as dead can be, and Lazlo is in Minya's power to keep Sarai from evanescing (fading away.) Minya is a character that is created to absolutely loathe, but Muse of Nightmares changed my opinion on Minya (which I expected) and you will learn that there is more than meets the eye.

...

I appreciated the redemption of certain characters (I will not say who as to not spoil you), I felt like the redemptions were accurate and well-explained, it made sense. It wasn't just BS and I really felt for every single character. We find out the true name of Weep near the end, and honestly, by the time you read 95% of the book, you forget this big mystery and just do not really care anymore (and I am not saying that as a bad thing.) It was underwhelming to say the least, but that's because so many more important events happen that the name of the city goes to the back burner of your mind.

...

Of course I have to mention this in my review because it's gonna make me go crazy. At the last page of the epilogue, Laini wrote "The end (or is it?)" WHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT?!?!? I literally threw my bookmark on the floor (because I didn't want to ruin my perfectly stunning copy of Muse.)
I would 100% buy more books if she decides to lengthen this series, or perhaps make a companion version. Laini. We are all down. Please make it happen.

...

Laini Taylor has such a unique way of telling a story, much like Patrick Rothfuss. You are 100% encapsulated into this world these authors create for us, and we never ever want to leave. And with that, I leave this review with the biggest smile on my face, awaiting more.

dundermifflinbooks's review

Incredible...there are no words I could possibly put in a review that would do this series justice. It's just simply incredible ❤️

elaineharlington's review

This book is even better than the FIRST. How is that even possible???!! Laini, tell me your secrets to creating great plot, great characters, having all-around great descriptive writing. I was ripping through the pages, trying to get to the next scene, and my goodness the first book was a little slow when it comes to plot, but this second book - I think every single chapter ended in a cliffhanger! And then she would just skip to another character's viewpoint and I was like Laini... I still want to know what's going on to the other character! D:

The ending though. I'm still smiling because of it, because there was not a more perfect way to end the series.

gitaventyana's review

SO EPIC

My Spotify was playing "Into the Unknown" when I reached the ending. Perfect.

novelreader13's review against another edition

Okay, so at some point in the 6 months after I read and reviewed Muse of Nightmares I somehow managed to accidentally delete my original review, which I only realized a couple of days ago. I'll try and reiterate the major points.

I remember that I really liked the character development and growth, especially when it comes to Minya. We finally learn why she is the way she is and the truth of it was absolutely heartbreaking.

The writing, much like with Strange the Dreamer is stunning and manages to be lyrical and flowery without ever feeling dense.

Lastly, I remember that I loved how everything wrapped up and couldn't find fault with anything about that ending.

Overall a clear recommendation for this beautiful duology!

la_roseanna's review against another edition

These books are so so good! The first one was a beautiful dream with a rough awakening the second one was a nightmare(not as in it being a terrible book but as in so much tension and so much happening all at once that it starts to feel overwhelming)after which you fall in a beautiful slumber in the arms of someone you love.

anushar's review

adventurous emotional mysterious sad slow-paced

This book was overall really good and the ending had me in my feels, unfortunately I found that I was skimming a lot in this book, it’s rather slow paced and despite the beautiful writing the story definitely feels longer than it needs to be. I would recommend it overall though.