Reviews tagging 'Kidnapping'

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

syrah78's review

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I feel like I need to do research after this! The mystery was enticing and unique. I did not realize how complicated history can be especially interwoven with religion.

juleseliasw's review against another edition

adventurous informative mysterious tense medium-paced

Very fun and interesting as a lover of symbols and history!

vikaa_xy's review against another edition

informative mysterious slow-paced

I don't like history stuff and in this book there was A LOT OF HISTORY 😭

amytk's review against another edition

adventurous dark informative inspiring tense medium-paced

mattiedancer's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Writing: 4⭐️/5
The writing falters at some points, but shines at others. I particularly loved how Brown writes about history and art in a way that blends fiction and fact seamlessly. I also enjoyed the flow of action, which was mostly easy to follow. What I liked less was the reliance on some sexist tropes of female characters. And, while the writing was functional, it definitely fell into some tropes for the favour of time and ease of reading. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely not the strongest writing characteristic.

Characters: 3.5⭐️/5
Alright, so I get it. Robert Langdon is very, very badass. But he doesn’t know it. It was both fun and not fun at times to follow him, but I did overall enjoy him and most of our main characters. I felt less love towards the suddenness at which Robert and Sophie found themselves romantically involved. I also didn’t buy into Sophie’s reason for essentially estranging herself from her grandfather. It felt like something that would’ve been silly to keep going for that long.

Plot: 4.25⭐️/5
Okay, so the plot is incredibly... fun? That seems like the wrong word, but here we are. I enjoyed reading the plot, despite its many ups and downs and some completely unbelievable sections. But I was okay with employing some suspension of disbelief (like the many many hours of zero sleep) to enjoy the engaging, ever-changing, ever-moving plot.

Who Should Read This Book?
  • Fans of mystery novels
  • Fans of thrillers
  • Fans of art history who like mysteries/thrillers

Content Warnings?
  • Murder, death, self-harm, gun violence, ableism, blood, death of parent, car accident, violence, stalking, gaslighting, emotional abuse, religious bigotry, torture, kidnapping, confinement

Post-Reading Rating:  4.75⭐️/5
Well, that was fun.

Final Rating: 3.75⭐️/5

ritugp01's review

adventurous informative mysterious fast-paced

Very famous and well known book! Glad to have read it and found they clues fun to solve, I especially loved all the art and symbolism that's inherent to the plot.

elspethmigliore's review

adventurous emotional informative mysterious tense fast-paced

okay…this was fine !

it was actually very interesting and informative, but i feel like every single chapter there was an inessential lecture about a random topic that didn’t even contribute to the story. i was very pulled in the whole time, but by the end i felt like it was just a whole lot of words with a half-assed ending. overall it was like a decent read and i’m suddenly very interested in symbolism regarding religion, but i know some of this information isn’t even accurate so i’m slightly confused.

i’d probably reread. this was pretty interesting ✅

bessadams's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

mirandyli's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

I read this book after watching the film in high school. There are some thought-provoking parts. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I don't really care either, as I'm not religious.

thewordsdevourer's review against another edition

adventurous informative mysterious tense fast-paced

this book has such a bad rep but idc bc it's damn entertaining. the writing certainly isnt anything special, but does anyone ever ask of high literary value from other thrillers? i wonder if suddenly it's a huge issue bc of dan brown's subject matter. this was unputdownable and i def learned a few things. the central issue of the sacred feminine and its role-or rather, lack thereof--in christianity is thought-provoking and im not surprised that this book ruffles a few feathers. sick of robert langdon and his one-book (or rather, night) romances tho.