A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories, by Lucia Berlin

renbooks's review

I enjoyed these short stories. My only complaint is that there is a foreword that spoils many of the stories (WHY DO THEY DO THIS??!!). Once I realized, I skipped the rest of the foreword.

supkevs's review

challenging emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

dezeagle's review

dark emotional funny sad medium-paced

carleymcbing's review

This collection of stories by Lucia Berlin is a stunner. I hadn't read anything of hers before this and I am so glad that I did! Thanks to my friend Brittany for the recommendation.

numbuh212's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

hotgirlreadbookss's review

When I first started reading this I didn't think I was going to like it at all, the first stories were okay, but I felt like I was missing something, missing the point. But as I got further in the stories started to really pick up and I loved almost all of them. Lucia has a way of writing about ordinary events that somehow leaves you completely wrapped up in these stories. She was a great storyteller with quite a unique style

brhodesford's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense slow-paced

rebbysetread's review

Most of these stories are stellar as stand alone pieces, but I really enjoyed the way many of them felt connected. I especially enjoyed Berlin's ability to inject soft bits of humor into even the darkest of passages - a really beautiful skill.

marciepan's review

dark emotional funny reflective sad slow-paced

puzzleguzzler's review

Masterful.

I quote this from the forward because it so accurately describes the reading experience: Lydia Davis: “Lucia Berlin’s stories are electric, they buzz and crackle as the live wires touch. And in response, the reader’s mind, too, beguiled, enraptured, comes alive, all synapses firing. This is the way we like to be, when we’re reading—using our brains, feeling our hearts beat.”