Best Love, by Lily Morton

dithkusu's review against another edition

Read this short story just in time for Valentine's day, and this was cute enough. 3.5 stars for me, would easily swing to 3 stars or 4 stars depending on my mood so it gets the middle road. This had Lily Morton's signature writing style and character tropes and dynamics in this short story, with childhood best friends horror novelist Noah and tattoo artist Sage who are living in York getting matched by a matchmaking agency and going with it, realize that they are meant to be together after going on cute outings and bumping into the author-signature terrible jealous cliche ex-boyfriend, extended sex scene, and epilogue where they're traveling the world together and living their dream, and ends with a proposal commitment. They live happily ever after, the end. I did like the York/ British setting, would be curious about the places they go to, if I go to the UK someday.

teenykins's review against another edition

Loved this!!!

Beautiful story filled with banter and humor and to those that read first Oz and then this (like me) we get to know how Sage and his man came together ^^.

leslie_kent's review against another edition

I forgot I hadn’t read this novella yet. Short and sweet. Can’t complain.

lecturasdeannie's review against another edition

Sage no es una chica, como yo pensaba... jajaja.
Una historia súper corta, pero tierna y llena de picante entre dos mejores amigos.

anzhela's review against another edition

0.5

~sigh~
am I really going to write a rant review to a 64-page-book? yes, yes I am
because it takes smth to bring a book from a tentative five star to a one in a couple of pages and I need to tell you about it
it started so well. friends-to-lovers. tbh, not my trope of choice, not even in top 5, but it seemed to be done kinda well, the mutual pining and all that. but there were already hints that while Noah is absolutely sure his feelings are unrequited, Sage is "waiting for Noah to catch up". I was heavily leaning towards "go fuck yourself, Sage" but it was sweet and low-key adorable so I was willing to let it slide. Noah clearly has a lot of self-worth and self-confidence problems. which is like, valid, but Sage wasn't helping (even though I think we were supposed to think that he was trying. you weren't trying, my man. you just weren't)
then the whole backstory-exposition... look, I understand that it's a 64-page romance story. I really do. but I think that while I do understand it, the author doesn't. because at parts it felt like a summary of a longer book and that's never a good sign.
the premise of "hey, we've been friends and pinning over each other for ages and then this dating app matched us on a valentine day" is cute. and each one of them organising a date was kind of sweet. but Sage just felt so manipulative. he is clearly written as the character who knows, and it takes all the sweetness out of the situation. when he tells Noah "you’re not quite ready" I wanted to punch him.
but what ruined this for me is the 5th chapter
“About time,” he says slowly. “I’ve been waiting for you to catch up.”
“You’ve always waited.” My voice is full of the wonder and dawning realisation that floods my body.
“You’re worth it,” he whispers.

you know what? fuck you! if he's worth it, you should have been the one to make the first step years ago! this pissed me off so much. Noah should've let him go with that Richard guy and he would've gone because "oh, I love him so much but I guess he's not ready to love me properly yet. and it has nothing to do with the fact that I am an asshole. nope, not in the slightest. I'm just gonna go ahead and sleep with this Richard guy. poor me" (this isn't a quote, it's my frustration)
urgh
and so from that point on I lost all interest in the story -- I skimmed this last chapter and basically skipped the epilogue altogether.

really liked some of the writing though so I will check out more from this author

chelseavk's review against another edition

3.5 stars

tepidgirlsummer's review against another edition

A short story that is firmly in the camp of “alright.” I love Morton’s full-length novels much more because of the awesome character development.

dokudanjou's review against another edition

Just... too short to care about our MCs is all. I don't think a story of this length is really suited for this type of romance when we don't know the characters already.

isalaur's review against another edition

Loved it!

Loved this expanded version of the short story that was originally published in the Heart2Heart anthology. Morton has quickly become one of my favorite authors, an automatic “buy on release day.” She imbues her characters with such depth and emotion and feeling you feel as if you really could sit down in a cafe with them. I love the humor and snark and, in the cases of her novels, the pain and emotion of the crisis moments. Being an American Anglophile I love the British settings, language and culture as well.

I’ve read all of her published works and highly recommend them all. You can’t go wrong as she does m/f as well as she does m/m like this story.

cadiva's review against another edition

Date's wrong but I read this originally as part of the Heart2Heart Anthology and it was awesome.

Set in York, a city I know so very well, with a flyby visit to the gorgeous coastal town of Staithes, it was just a fabulous best friends to lovers romance.