Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

mnemosyne5's review against another edition

I really want to like this more than I am. Barrons is an interesting character, but he appears too infrequently in the story and Mac remains nearly as annoying as she was in the first book. The plot does not seem to be progressing much and what progress there is, is very slow. Still, I loved Moning's Highlander series, so I shall continue with this book and likely the series, just not right away.

Finished now, and while it did get better toward the end I'm still not loving it. I want to like Mac, but she still irritates me. Still, the world building is really interesting. I'll likely pick up book 3 some time in the future.

caitybell's review against another edition

I enjoyed Darkfever so much, I was surprised I liked Bloodfever even more! This one picks up right where Darkfever left off, and the hunt for the cursed book continues with even more twists and turns!

I devoured Bloodfever in a day. Moning’s Dublin was expanded and we learned so many more things in this one, as well as raised more questions.

Between Barrons and V’lane, hunting the book, hunting her sister’s killer, and trying to learn who she truly is—Mac is beyond busy in this one, and the pace never slows.

We meet old enemies and new ones, and once again are shocked with another cliffhanger ending!

I’m so glad I’m reading these books with 9 already released, or else I would probably die having to wait for the next book! On to book three...

dajoyofit's review against another edition

I think I enjoyed this one more than the first. I love the mystery. I love the fantasy. I love the action. I really loved seeing Mac hold her own. And I do love the tension between Jericho and Mac and V'lane and Mac. Its a nice counterpane to the seriousness (and darkness) happening. Can't wait to read the next book. Again, if you're looking for something along the lines of paranormal romance, you'll be disappointed. This series so far falls safely into the urban fantasy realm. Don't expect any romance or sex. Do expect the world building to be awesome.

aemac27's review

Two main characters were too inconsistent and their relationship was abusive.

alisonhori's review against another edition

I would like to give this one 3.5 stars really...definitely much,much better than the first book. Character development is still slow going but finally we are getting to Mac is getting a little more interesting and Barrons isn't quite as underdeveloped...he remains interesting anyhow though the slow build both of his character and of the relationship between him and Mac makes for a bit limited depth to the book. Getting to know him from deeds rather than anything else is not really my style of character development but I am going with it since the actions move along quickly. I wish some of the mythology were a little more developed...everything is a very superficial but still, fun enough light read and I am in this series till the end now...moving on to book 3 now.

devansbooklife's review against another edition

I'm starting to see the appeal of Barrons. I want to know more about him. Mac sometimes drives me crazy. I'm thinking I will like her more as time passes. She's becoming stronger, more daring. Something I value in books. I want a strong female leader. I am now officially excited about this series. I think it has a lot to do with Barrons though. Am I the only one who likes V'lane? I know he's not good. But I guess I like the bad boy images too much. I love the buildup of this series. The world building is immaculate. The details are written so well this imaginary world literally comes the life with each page turned. I also like how all the details add up. I feel like I need to take notes to piece everything together.

bmzhang's review

Freaking cliffhanger

labunnywtf's review against another edition

Ahhhhh, SO much better reading it instead of listening to it. Despite the fact that I could still hear Blanche Deveraux's accent if I didn't work hard enough to shut it out.

I liked this one even better than Darkfever. Mac has grown leaps and bounds from the first, where we had to deal with Pretty Pretty Princess Barbie. Now she's started to embrace the badass within, though she didn't come anywhere near where she was at the end of the last book, with her badass fight scene. I was really expecting more of that, since really, Moning set us up for it. Other than after she had that really disgusting meal, we didn't get any fight scenes, and that's irritating.

I like V'lain a great deal. I would like to die at his hands. A couple of times.

Still confused about Barrons. The scene in the cave before they were interrupted by The Lord Master Whatever was getting hot and heavy. Very fun.

Looking forward to the next book.

camibookish's review against another edition

This woman is growing so much with each book!

aliceboule's review against another edition

GAH I CAN'T STOP READING