jentrification's review against another edition

good primer for brands and orgs wishing to bring the concepts of design thinking to their workplace.

kaianicole's review against another edition

Another 3.5 stars. Really good ideas, average execution. I often would get lost in the myriad of tiny examples he provided and have to back up to figure out what he was trying to illustrate.

jakew's review

4/5

Excellent overview of design thinking and the origins, along with some basics on tools and mindset for successful implementation. Also enjoyed the tie ins with how to change organizations, something I am particularly interested in.

mcsquared's review against another edition

A lot of good insight about role of design in project management and product development.

dylan's review

The thesis is solid, but if it were written today I would see this more as a series of blog posts than a full-on book. It also felt geared towards people who have no interest or faith in design (not necessarily bad but it made for a conflicted reading experience).

alap's review

A useful primer to the world of design thinking

While interesting, the book is by no means a one stop or exhaustive collection of knowledge that will teach you design thinking. Further while the examples are extreme,y compelling, I wish there were more of them, with more defined statistics and proof of their impact. The bottom line is this is a good primer, which sets you up for further study into the designers way...

sethd's review

Brown does a great job explaining his concept of design thinking. He differentiates between design and design thinking and between designers and design thinkers, while making the point that anyone can be a design thinker. This and Kelley's "Ten Faces of Innovation" have not surprisingly a bit of overlap both in concept and in anecdotes. While I didn't read them in this order, I think reading this book first would be better as it is more principle-driven and inspirational whereas Kelley's book gets more into practices and details around different roles that can aid in innovation.

kiki's review

informative medium-paced

Very basic, and a bit too self-aggrandizing for my taste. Has some comical moments of being incredibly out of touch with the lived reality for many people under current capitalist systems. Perhaps just a case of misplaced expectations, but didn't feel like I took much away from the book – probably not for someone who already has a fairly solid understanding of design thinking.