Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, by Judy Blume

ketallpot's review

I think most of the girls I knew read this book when we were in middle school. It's ubiquitous like that. That said, I think it's still a pretty good book about growing up, friendships and life.

thescalenetriangle's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

i never read this book when i was young because my mom told me to and i didn’t want to and i thought periods were super awkward and scary and cringey. it was kind of fun to read as an adult - on the one hand i think the conversations margaret and her friends have about periods are sort of funny, because i’m now long past the part of my life where a period was weird/new/scary/a huge deal to figure out how to deal with. the book does feel very accurate to my memory of feelings and conversations about things like periods, bras, boys, that i had with my peers at the time. the part where they had to keep a “boy book” with a ranked order of which boys they liked and update it every week, but margaret just picked two people and never changed the list had me laughing out loud bc she was so real for that. i also didn’t know that a lot of the book was about margaret feeling alienated from her peers for not being any religion, and her trying to sort out of there is any religion or type of god she feels connected to. this book was really about so much more than periods but a lot of parts about growing up, and how it’s okay to be different or feel different from your peers when it can feel like the end of the world if other kids think you’re weird. also apparently judy blume has written a ton of super “controversial” novels so i guess im entering my judy blume era bc i want to read all of them

lonecayt's review against another edition

I think I probably would've liked this a lot more had I read it when I was younger. It dealt with a lot of themes that were probably fairly riske at the time - atheism, menstruation, family estrangement, etc. And all of the themes were dealt with well. But the whole book was from the point of view of an 11-going-on-12-year-old girl. And it all just seemed a bit simple.

Maybe I'm too jaded for this book. Is that it?

blimowery's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

gma2lana's review

I don't recall reading this as a teen, maybe I would have enjoyed it more....

nrwebster26's review against another edition

3.5 stars, Margaret takes on a big topic. I came away wanting to hear more of her internal dialogue
about the religious books she read as well as her conversations with Janie and her grandmothers. I find Margaret's frankness with her grandmothers fascinating, considering that Margaret often ponders how Nancy would react to her true boy book and assumes that her final project disappointed Mr. Benedict.

In many times and many ways, I need the reminder not to "always believe everything you hear about other people" (151).

100onbooks's review against another edition

A story of faith and growing up told with beautiful empathy.

roxie_a_thunder's review

emotional lighthearted reflective medium-paced

shelleyrae's review

For me this was a seminal book as a preteen, especially as an early developer this book was for me in a lot of ways reassuring. It captures the early preteen issues perfectly - first period, puberty, friendships, family relationships and all that akwardness. I have never come across another book that honestly explored this subject and when my daughter reached the age I still had my own copy ready for her to read.

The religious component was interesting as and aside because those sort of issues did not exist in my environment (much more an American issue)

PS I begged my parents to buy me a copy after I had read it from the library but they got the title wrong and I ended up with some completely uninteresting book called "Mister God This is Anna" which i threw out in disgust. I bought my own copy with my next birthday money :)

sashubey's review