Reviews tagging Ableism

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

amyhamilton's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

sarah_ann_roth's review

challenging reflective tense slow-paced

lillyskyemily's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

elinthenilsson's review

senny's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

azalea_b's review

reflective medium-paced

Quite boring unless you’re able to become fully invested in the characters (I, unfortunately, was not). On the topic of racism, it’s an interesting read in the context of seeing how civil rights have progressed since the writing of this book, but that’s about it. The characters are still racist and Atticus is still painfully white. Him and the book give a lot of “passes” on other character’s racism and frame racism is about the individual rather than the system, something I found rather annoying. Again, not a /bad/ read per say, but it wasn’t very engaging and if you’re looking for a commentary on racism, this isn’t it. However, the writing style and structure with how Harper Lee presented characters were very nicely done and it was satisfying to compare them and look back and realize connections she was setting up (which made sense, since this is a small town).

chaoticfia's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

I absolutely adored Scout's narrative voice: the balance of childishness and maturity was excellent. The plot was well-written, and the book was engaging. However, it was a little difficult to get into, and the datedness of the language means I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of pretty significant things.

littlegretty's review

challenging emotional hopeful medium-paced

While I do think this is an incredibly important novel, it is still flawed. One of the best decisions Lee made was to make Scout the narrator. Seeing the world through the eyes of a small child forces the reader to reconcile the world Scout is living in as compared to our own. I think it is an important read, but we must problematize its author's history and its story as well. It is not without fault.

ashleyann's review

emotional inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

rebbawskaced's review against another edition

inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

This was a book that most of my friends got to read in school, but somehow never was covered during my school days. I picked it up without knowing what it was about, and gave it a try.

The first 50% of the book could have been maybe one or two chapters long and gotten the same point across. This didn't really pick up until the trial scenes, and most of the early stuff is typical 'my life as a child' content. It wasn't particularly interesting, but I suppose it added context to later events. I still feel like it could have been a lot shorter and gotten the same point across.

The trial was by far the most interesting part of the book, fast-paced and anxiety inducing. I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and was disappointed that the fast pace didn't keep up after that.

The characters were mostly enjoyable, and the children were portrayed in an accurate way for the ages they were. Atticus Finch was by far my favorite, and although he seemed to be a strange father, he always did right by his kids. That was a nice breath of fresh air in literature (especially older literature) and I very much enjoyed his relationship to everyone else in the town. If more people thought like Atticus Finch the world would be a better place.