Reviews tagging Sexual assault

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

emilyburton30's review

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

Okay so, here’s the thing.
I enjoyed this book. It’s well written and engaging and the characters themselves are pretty interesting and have some great moments. Atticus is the saving character of this book - I really genuinely like that man.
However, there are a few issues I have:
1. This shouldn’t have been written by the author who wrote it. I understand what the book was trying to do and I think it does a good job in parts of the book ( more towards the end) however I think this was a missed opportunity to have the black characters in the book have more of a voice ( in particular Tom. I wish this book was multi POV)
2.  The whole thing with Boo Radley was underwhelming in my opinion? Was it sweet? Yes. Was it also anticlimactic? In my opinion also yes. I almost think his character wasn’t necessary and they could have taken Toms character and done more with him instead.
3. The main plot point of the book isn’t mentioned till halfway through which I think is strange. It’s not bad just an interesting choice.
I did enjoy this book and it has some great moments in it but these are my main issues with it.

amyhamilton's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

itsmeyseniab's review

emotional slow-paced

I'm going to preface this review by stating that I never had to read this for school, therefore I had no prior knowledge of what this is about, and looking back I'm glad I didn't. I think that, had I been assigned to read this while I was younger I would not have enjoyed it very much nor would I have seen the deeper meaning.

Jean Louise, more commonly referred to as Scout, is a five-year old girl who serves as the narrator of the story: she was very entertaining to read from and I believe that the narrator being a child deepened the impact of the novel as a whole. One of my favorite parts of this novel was seeing Scout grow up in terms of age as well as the circumstances around her causing her and her brother Jem to mature faster than their peers. Each part of the novel explores a different conflict at a different point in Scout's childhood, and the "stakes" seem to increase with each conflict as well (i.e. the fear of Boo Radley, Scout and Jem being bullied over their father Atticus' profession, the trial and it's verdict). Each conflict explores different themes as well; some themes discussed include prejudice, racism, social class, poverty, morality and the judicial system.

I really enjoyed the topics discussed in this novel, and appreciate the impact that it has had across generations HOWEVER at times I felt a little....bored. The pacing just felt a bit off for me, but I did appreciate how easy it was to understand in terms of the writing style. I wouldn't recommend this if you are just diving into classics, but I do think everyone should read it at some point in their lives at least once! Lots of good lessons can be learned, and lessons that are still 100% relevant today.

irene043043's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

I will give this book five stars out of 5!! That's pretty rare from me😂.

⭐- The storyline had everything in it. A touch of suspense, emotions, highs and lows. And most importantly, life lessons. Lessons which show us how easy it is to go on walking down the wrong path. But, once you do what's right, the whole world gets upside down.

⭐- Characters. I certainly fell in love with them within a few chapters. The relationship among them is described amazingly. I have grown quite fond of the bond of Atticus with his kids.

⭐- The language!! No tough words, but every sentence expresses a thousand different things.

⭐- Character growth, the author doesn't just write 'After one year' to show that time has passed.  The characters change in behaviour tells me so. As if I also grew up a lot with these two kids and a single father.

⭐- Perfect pacing. No point in the story felt hurried or too slow. It hasn't any groundbreaking plot twists but presented in such a way that it will succeed to shock you.

⭐- What else I will say??🤣. Add all the praise you can. It's a gem of a book! You won't regret picking it up!!

😺- I have my fingers crossed for Walter. I am cribbing to see him and Scout together 😂.

whirlpool_'s review against another edition

dark emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

doggo's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

barrybj's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

jessg_24's review

dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

3_14159's review

emotional hopeful inspiring sad slow-paced

sofiagdthrf's review