An Excellent Mystery, by Ellis Peters

poirotketchup's review

This is the first Cadfael book I've read. Although I enjoyed the setting quite a bit, the clues were horribly obvious, and there was very little sense of mystery throughout. It looks like other reviews on Goodreads say this entry is unique to the series, so I may give another Cadfael mystery a try.

viktorreads's review

An excellent book! I love the relationship between Humilis and Fidelis.

depizan's review

This one was...odd. Some of the character motivations were really hazy, and I wasn't at all comfortable with how the monk struggling with desire was handled.

frater's review

I'm usually a fan of Cadfael but this "mystery" is not as excellent as may be claimed by the title. The writing is evocative as always, the characters well drawn and believeable, but the issue with this particular novel is the plot - in that nothing really happens.

By the sixth chapter, the big "reveal" is already painfully obvious, the hints d0led out through the rest of the novel border on condescending in their obviousness, and even the question of how exactly Cadfael is going to untwist everything into a happy ending feels a bit trite and boring by the end. The solution borders very closely on a deus ex machina, and though that may be thematically appropriate for a mystery solving monk, it's still unsatisfying in a novel.

cleng's review

Love all the Cadfael mysteries!