Abandon, by Meg Cabot

littleredd303's review

I love Meg Cabot! Again she has written a book that I loved, I just love her writing and the characters she brings to life. I loved how she took the Persephone myth and made it completely her own. There has one thing that Meg Cabot has never disappointed I love her main characters, and Pierce is no different I love her strong will no matter what that’s hard to find these days, I loved even though it was incredibly stupid what she did for Hannah I loved that even though she was going through shit and Hannah called her crazy the fact that she was willing to put herself in danger just to prove to everyone that Hannah was the victim made me love her, and I love how she always fought to get to her family and how everyone else’s needs came before hers that was amazing ! I also love the chemistry between her and john; it honestly put the biggest smile on my face when she first met John. But when she met him why she died and I know why she did it and I also respect it because I would probably most likely would do the same but I felt so damn bad for John, Now when it comes down to Mr. John Hayden I love him I thought he was really sweet and just does not know how to show it, I thought quite funny in the way he acted with Pierce I loved them together! Any who this book was amazing and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book!

anabbesteves's review

Meg I love you!
This book is based in the myth of Persephone and it's so well done that you'd think that this story is real!
I couldn't put it down!

heisereads's review

3 1/2 stars because I know there has to be a sequel, I just wish I had gotten a little bit more explanation in this one.

Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends

I have mixed thoughts about this book - I really liked some parts and felt let down at other parts. Most of the first half of the book, I was confused about what was actually going on (of course, I was probably supposed to be). It reads like a contemporary, which I like in a mythological retelling, and is a straight-forward, easy-to-read writing style; however, it uses flashbacks to help the reader get all of the background. It starts in the present and is told in Pierce's voice and references events that we don't know anything about. Then it will flashback to what happened before so we get more of the story, but never the whole entire thing it seemed. In the last part of the book there is a big reveal conversation where everything is explained. I don't know if it's because there's been a lot of the Hades/Persephone stories I've read lately or I just picked up on lots of clues, but it wasn't very shocking to me - I kind of had it all figured out. But, there are unique pieces to it that are a twist on the classic story that intrigued me and felt fresh.

I was definitely into the book the entire time and I read it in one day because of a combination of it being written in a quick to read way and the building of the suspense and me wanting to know what was going to happen. I liked Pierce and her attitude toward things and her way of trying to get back from the depths she had been to. Her attitude was great as she stood up for herself and what she wanted. A few examples of Pierce's attitude/outlook that exemplify why I liked her (from the ARC): "It's only in fairy tales that princesses can afford to wait for the handsome prince to save them. In real life, they have to bust out of their own coffins and do the saving themselves." and "Of course he'd seen right through me. My sarcasm was just a defense mechanism to hide how truly unnerved I was at my...reaction..." See, my kind of sarcastic, do what you need girl character. I really like the character of John too - to me he's the most intriguing character in the book because he's hard to figure out, but we see glimpses of deeper turmoil from him. I also felt that some of the secondary characters were there, but not really developed very much, and I wanted to know more about them. I know there has to be a sequel, I just wish I had gotten a little bit more explanation in this one. Overall, it's an enjoyable read albeit a little predictable, and I'll definitely read the sequel, UNDERWORLD, but I was left a little bit wanting in this one. So, if it's in your to-be-read pile, wait until the sequel and then you'll be able to read them one right after the other and maybe not feel quite as cut off in the middle like I did.

books_plan_create's review

So, in this book we have a fractured version of the Persephone myth. Persephone was kidnapped by Hades and taken to the Underworld as his consort. Persephone's mother, Demeter, was not happy and went to get her,thereby creating the seasons. I've always thought this myth was interesting.

First there is an "accident" then an "incident." Then Pierce and her mother move from Connecticut to Florida where Pierce is still being followed by a mysterious man she met when she died. Against her better judgment she is drawn to him. If she accepts him and all he offers, she will be back in the Underworld.

I really enjoyed this book. Granted, by page 10 or so, I was flipping back to the beginning to make sure I didn't miss something, or that there was no volume 1. We get the story in a jumpy back and forth type motion; once I got used to it, I liked it.

This was a pretty quick read too, well I guess insomnia had something to do with it as well...(hello 3-5:45 am). And I am ready for the next installment!

auburnedge's review

This could easily have been a 5⭐ read if it wasn't so dang confusing. It bounced around and took almost the whole story to figure out just what was happening. If it had been more cohesive this might have been a new favorite. But instead I spent most of the book trying to piece together just what was happening.

mcipher's review

I would probably give it three stars if it wasn't Meg Cabot, which meant my expectations were high because I adore her books. It was okay, but the ending was "dun-dun-dun... wait for the next book!" and I hate that. I want the book to work alone, too, not just be the first chapters of a longer book - or just write a longer book, then! Don't write a book that can't be an experience in itself! It really didn't bring enough to the table for me - I didn't care all that much about Pierce and I didn't understand her relationship with John - why would he be so interested in her? What's special about her? She didn't strike me as terribly special. It just didn't have the depth of character her other books have. Not that I won't be reading the next one, because I probably will, just to see...

library_of_velaris's review

Amazing! I finished this book in two days in my spare time between classes, I was so hooked. Love Cabot!

xtazziex's review against another edition

emotional mysterious sad medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

I wanted to love this book being a retelling of Hades and Persephone but it fell flat for me

1tiffani1's review against another edition

Very interesting take on the Persephone myth. Very good. Good read.

jazmyntea's review

This was an introduction book with no real purpose, it feels like it could have been condensed and become the first half of a good book. Saying that it was really quick to read and the series is already complete so you can jump staight in to book two.