Circe, by Madeline Miller

ksedreads's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

asey's review

You know you have read a good book if you are conflicted about the characters and you have to think about what it is you've read, why you liked it and why you didn't. This was "Circe" for me.

I've always been fascinated with Greek mythology and the Greek gods. When they are fleshed out into true characters, they have a whole new dimension; their pettiness, greed, and flippant attitudes become much more real. If you have eternity to do what you will, what do you do with it?

I appreciated Circe's character, her growth from her mistakes, the lessons she had to learn in being very different from the other nymphs and gods, but especially the contrast shown between her thoughtfulness and the other gods' carelessness. Miller was able to show the wickedness of the gods without contributing to it, without viewing it in a favorable light. And that is good art.

I loved how Circe's story was weaved into the other stories of gods and heroes and the part she played in them, especially those of Odysseus and Scylla. But as much as I loved this book and the way it was written, the ending had too much of the "ick" factor for me and I can only give it three stars and can only recommend it to a very mature audience.

linimay's review

incredible. took me so long to read bc i didn’t want it to end

milli_louise's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative inspiring mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

catsbooksmilktea's review

The most beautiful novel I've ever read. The last chapter had me sobbing. I love how honest it is, but still so kind and gentle.

amzbot's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

rachaelly7's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

beyondtherubicon's review

what’s she so good at writing for

jude_holmes_'s review against another edition

Devoured in 24 hours, bloody delicious

emilyfawley's review

Wow. 5⭐️’s, no question. The way the myths were all intricately woven together was a marvel and I loved Circe’s narrative. It was very much her tone and it was not watered down to be likeable, which made it very likeable. “Sorcery cannot be taught. You find it yourself, or you do not.”