Reviews tagging Abandonment

I Kissed Shara Wheeler, by Casey McQuiston

mallory10100's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective medium-paced

WOW i loved this book so much

patricktreads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

So this is my first book by Casey (yes I know), so I was really nervous that I would be really excited and then the work not meet expectation.

I was BLOWN AWAY! I’ve always loved a good mystery and I loved the character growth that came from this one. This book had the mystery, it had the drama, it had the representation, and it even had pre-read content warnings. That last one was also everything.

I had no clue that this book would be set in Alabama. That was a pleasant surprise. What was more exciting is the fact that this fictional town is actually only set about an hour from my hometown. It was exciting to have a story with parts of my home represented.

I also connected with the main characters experiences. A lot of these small towns in the south are very spot on to the description laid out by the author.

Last note to add is if you have the chance, the audio book is exceptional. I was given access to an arc by audio, and the narrator was spectacular. They didn’t just read the lines of the book, they absolutely performed the pages. At one point our main character cries and the narrator is so spot on that I could feel the pain in the words.

Absolute recommend!

cozyreadsandcoffee's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

I think this book fell short of what I know Casey Mcquiston can do.

I think Chloe was almost too whiny and superficial to enjoy her journey. [Don't get me started on her valedictorian speech] I think  I would have enjoyed this more if given the perspectives of Rory and Smith because having it from just Chloe's viewpoint became almost superficial.

I think also being in a small town, the seriousness of kids getting outed to their families was not as much as it should have been. It just seemed there wasn't much on this topic as I thought there would be.

bookcrushin's review