Pass with Care, by Cooper Lee Bombardier

courtzconnor's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

meganmilks's review

This collection of essays spans a long swath of trans time, offering some historicizing of SF and NM in the 90s and early oughts, including dyke/transmasc tensions and a reckoning with past relationships and an inheritance of familial violence. Honestly so much here, a lot of life lived and hard-won lessons learned. The essay on accountability and problematic accountability processes was probably my favorite; I loved a lot else too—the essay on new trans memoir is terrific. Much clear-sighted wisdom to be found here and Bombardier’s image-rich writing is humbly excellent.

stevenrowe's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

mothdan's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

maiakobabe's review

An extremely strong collection of memoir essays, centered on themes of queer community, gender transition, reckoning with white masculinity, being a working class artist, relationships, trauma, healing, and accountability. Two short pieces about childhood, "Lincoln Street" and "Boombox", ached with the feeling of the last period of freedom before the full onslaught of gender policing and puberty. Many of the pieces provided a window to a specific queer moment in San Francisco in the 1990s, when punk artist collectives could still afford rent and run wild through the city. Bombardier also writes about working in traditionally masculine spaces, in carpentry, in welding, in construction, and as a college campus security guard. I enjoyed the nonlinear organization of the pieces in this book, and I highlighted several lines which I know I will be thinking about for a long time.

godslittleprincess's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

bdingz's review

emotional hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

loveinthetimeofmrsa's review

emotional funny informative inspiring reflective fast-paced