Never Say You Can't Survive, by Charlie Jane Anders

rbz39's review

A useful book of pep talks for writers, while it was inspirational, I found it circled some similar points. Overall it’s good!

shadereads's review against another edition

informative inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

stephanieridiculous's review against another edition

A super great, thought provoking read about writing and the writing process. This is not a "how to" so much as a "how about?" and I loved the exploration of processes, approaches, motivations, goals, and results. Definitely something I will consider re-reading several times through the writing process.

elizbee's review

funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

A pretty solid book on writing and the role of storytelling in surviving and coping with the world.  If you're a writer who struggles with writing due to anxiety, depression, burnout, and other struggles in your life, this may not offer QUITE the revelations you might be looking for, but it offers a few solid tips, and does a lot to reframe aspects of the writing process in ways that may be helpful.  It's probably most helpful to a very new writer, but there is still value in it for someone more experienced.

gnomescottage's review

hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

cuddlygryphon's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

annanymity's review against another edition

hopeful informative medium-paced

sockielady's review against another edition

funny informative inspiring

hopesears93's review

I did not know the author, nor do I think I will read the author's books. From the title and the marketing, I thought this book would either be a guide like Stephen King's book about writing or about how to actually help deal with your trauma. I also felt like it needed some more science anecdotes backing its healing powers. I like most books about writing but not this one. It's a pep talk. But one that I kind of wish would just end. It's definitely more geared toward LGBTQ+, which I can respect; I just am not the target demographic for this book. It did give a few good writing tips that I used. I just remembered being a bit disappointed. Its hype did not live up to the execution. I'm sure the fiction they write is better.

fluffdragon's review

Less of a how-to guide, and more of a grounded pep talk that reminds any reader who has ever strung words together that they know how and that they likely have wells of creativity to draw on.