Namesake by Adrienne Young

courtney_saba's review against another edition

Overall: 1.5 stars.
I'm making this review simple because I would just be repeating myself based on my review for Fable.

There was a lot of telling and no showing, particularly with the romance, which was a little bit more prominent in this book, but still unbelievable. I didn't believe in Fable and West's relationship and so it was very meaningless and forced.

There wasn't any character development. All the characters stayed the same, with no change or improvement, maybe with the exception of Koy. Everyone was still somewhat 1 dimensional. New characters were useless in the end, too.

The author kept telling me that West was this bad guy with horrible demons and a dark past, and everyone who knows him said the same thing, warning Fable about him, but again, it was all telling and no showing. I've read dark characters and West is definitely not one of them. Especially because the things that he did, so many other people have already done and is considered normal in their world. I just hated how they kept going on and on about how dangerous West was and it turns out that he's not, at all. Waste of potential, tbh.

The plot was straightforward and a little too YA for me in that it was super convenient and hard to believe. Everything was centered around Fable and her problems, and how she forced others to join her in her own cause all the time. I found this book to be a little more entertaining than the first book, but not by much.

So far, I think I've come to the conclusion that most YA books are not for me anymore. Of course there are exceptions, but overall I've been really disappointed by the YA genre recently.

Would I reread this book? No.
Would I recommend this book? No.
Was I entertained? Slightly, but the Fable duology is ultimately forgettable and I think I've wasted precious time with this.

Seriously beware the hype, Goodreads fiends.

audrey_took's review against another edition

I love it i love it i love it

votesforwomen's review against another edition

This book is truly just meh. I’ve tried with so many of Young’s books, and I suspect I’ll keep trying, because her premises are genuinely wonderful. The problem is that I always end up feeling more immersed in the world itself than in the characters, especially the POV character, and the story is so character driven. It’s just hard to understand why everyone is so tied to each other when we get absolutely no reason for it. This particular book went in circles and didn’t really take the time to demonstrate the importance of who was who and why they believed it.

alyxbeau's review

This sequel was as boring as the first book. I should not have let the cliffhanger of Fable pull me in to this sequel when I didn't enjoy any of the first book. I think it's very likely I wouldn't have bothered with this book if the audiobook was not immediately available after I finished book one.
There are no likable characters nor logical relationship progressions. Nothing about the decisions being made by the characters made any sense.
This is not an author I will read more from.

ablounger926's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

bright_night's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

brendalovesbooks's review against another edition

I liked this a lot, but not nearly as well as Fable.

car3war's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

sanne6je's review against another edition

Bit of a useless sequel. Could have done without

kaeliwolf's review against another edition

This author is never allowed to stop writing because every single thing I've read by her is absolutely fucking amazing.