The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

shampainprblmz's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

mc_talero17's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective slow-paced

selfwinding's review against another edition

Aside from that one dreadful chapter about tapestries, this was fascinating. Obviously I knew the majority of the story, but Wilde's descriptions are lavish and I loved wrapping my head around the 19th century diction. Gray's world is more formal and a higher class than most of my characters in the novel, but it's still informative since my main character will have to navigate some upper class social settings for a few chapters.

Lord Henry often strikes the arrogance I want from my antagonist. One description summed it up for me: “Lord Henry struck a light on a dainty silver case, and began to smoke a cigarette with a self-conscious and satisfied air, as if he had summed up the world in a phrase” (p. 9).

hannahsonne's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

hairlessfrog's review against another edition

This book was well written but so god awfully long. Half of the book was just random things happening The ending was nice i guess? The morality of the main character we can really only see at the end of the book once he’s dead which i really like about this book

ishita_arya's review against another edition

The Picture of Dorian Gray was a book I loved with my with my entire heart and yet hated almost all of the characters with a burning passion. Usually, I enjoy a book only if I care for the characters however this book went against the grain. The portrayal of gradual dissent into evil was immaculate and I would highly recommend this book if you are drawn towards villains and in the mood for reading a corruption arc.

Lord Henry was one the most infuriating characters I’ve ever read. He was one those pretentious and annoying people, who we know all to well. The one whose opinion no one asked for yet, they go on long rants about it all the same. He was a cynic, and hated everything that had an actual repercussions in society brushing it off as ugly.

This book, while written in highly conservative intolerant society has strong queer undertones. The three main male characters definitely (okayyy that’s an exaggeration but I picked up some strong vibes and so did multiple other readers whose reviews/thoughts I read) harbour romantic feelings towards one another and get jealous of their affections with someone else. This added another layer to the book and the actions of its characters because it was hard to distinguish whether relationships were platonic or more. This book was also one of the prominent catalysts for the unfortunate imprisonment Oscar Wilde.

The prose throughout the book was poetic and beautiful, but there was one chapter where the flowery writing just seemed to go on and on and on without a purpose and I wasn’t a big fan of that.

This book had important discussion on the importance our society puts on outward appearance, and the loss of innocence throughout our lives. An intense obsession with beauty, that is now especially prevalent in the age of the internet, makes this book especially relevant.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Even if you’ve never read any classic ever (besides the required reading you hated doing for school) this book is for you. If you’ve read this book already feel free to share your thoughts below and if you haven’t what are you waiting for!!!!!

angieincaps's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective medium-paced

mixedvalence's review against another edition

dark reflective sad slow-paced

annako_vacs's review against another edition

"People say sometimes that beauty is only superficial. That may be so, but at least it is not so superficial as thought is. To me, beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances.“ - Oscar Wilde

This tale may serve as a caution, and it fits perfectly well into our society's moral compass - inner and outer beauty are connected; innocence is beauty; don't be so self-obsessed.

BUT: Let's not forget, that Oscar Wilde does not value morals over beauty. He never tried to teach us a lesson, and this is why I like this book. It does not represent his views, it's just a collection of thoughts about beauty, and how people perceive it.

"An artist should create beautiful thing but should put nothing of his own life into them. We live in an age when men treat art as if it were meant to be a form of autobiography. We have lost the abstract sense of beauty.“
- Oscar Wilde as well.

_brody's review against another edition

dark mysterious