Unf*ck Your Habitat: You're Better Than Your Mess by Rachel Hoffman

yunatheautumnwitch's review

challenging funny informative inspiring medium-paced

jamesmata's review

Similar to How To Keep House While Drowning, but for a younger audience. Was a huge fan of UFYH on Tumblr in my early 20s

shabambamz's review

funny informative reflective fast-paced

while she does a great job addressing how to clean with physical and mental disabilities/illnesses, she doesn't address ADHD which I thought would be a large factor. otherwise, really great tips, particularly helpful if you were never taught how to clean or how to do it efficiently and without wanting to yeet yourself off a building

kamy82's review

funny informative medium-paced

mirrorchaser's review

So a little background here - I am a gal who naturally creates a pretty f*cked habitat. I married a man who likes to be in the exact opposite of a f*cked habitat. Understandably, we've both had to make some changes to merge our ecosystems into something both livable, maintainable, and somewhere our marriage could survive. Let me tell you now, our marriage wouldn't have survived his crisp military sheet corners, but it also couldn't have survived my "well I'm just getting in it later so I don't ever make the bed" mentality.

Somewhere along the way, I learned to Unf*ck my habitat and he learned to... f*ck his up a bit.

This book is something I wish I had pre-marriage. Hoffman gives tips to live a tidier life without the air of superiority that seems to exist in every other self-help book on the planet. It doesn't matter how many times they tell you "we've all been there!" it just doesn't seem like they have. Hoffman seriously writes from this really rare judgement free zone and I love it!

She provides real, tangible, measurable, and doable suggestions for changing your habits and gives you information on implementing them despite other barriers. She specifically talks about living with family, roommates, and spouses and how that might help or hinder your journey in Unf*cking your Habitat which I think could be very helpful for a lot of people who might not have total control over their living situation.

There are few people I wouldn't recommend this book to!

zephy55's review

informative fast-paced

If you struggle with absolute basics of understanding how to maintain a space and are looking for more of a general motivational pep-talk, this book is for you. However, I think it's really lacking detail or substance to be particularly helpful for anyone that has specific cleaning/organizing/unfucking concerns. The fact the author has a "UFYH Fundamentals" section that concisely summarizes the book in just 3 pages underscores this... it just feels like fluffed out blog post. I was hoping for more details about actually cleaning specific things, not essentially the line "do what you can when you can" repeated in different ways (which is a great concept but not enough for an entire book).

omgbiscoffspread's review

I loved this book! I've read other cleaning guides before, and they all had one thing in common - they didn't work. They were intimidating, and I felt patronized. I also have a couple of mental illnesses, and what I loved the most about UfYH was the way it was consistently reiterated that different people have different capabilities at different points in time. I had a major "Aha" moment when I read one of the things Hoffman said specifically about cleaning and mental illness, namely that "marathon" cleaning is sometimes a manifestation of a mental illness. I had never considered that the times when I've tried to do other cleaning regimens - and subsequently spent literally whole days cleaning only to be completely burnt out and depressed afterward and never actually build habits to keep it clean - could be a manifestation of anxiety. It really changed the way I think about cleaning, and I've even started implementing some of Hoffman's tips and am seeing real results. Not to mention she's funny as fuck!

90sinmyheart's review

I skimmed the sections that didn't apply to me but I definitely picked up some good tips:
- 20/10s
- No marathon cleaning/cleaning associated with anxiety (that realization was a punch in the feels)
- Clean... the inside... of my kettle?

racheleileen25's review

informative lighthearted fast-paced

Helpful tips and well written. Not exactly what I was expecting - this is really for people who struggle withe baseline cleaning. However - the 20/10 idea I will take with me.

ltlfroggie's review

funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted fast-paced