Cinderella, by Jacob Grimm, Olga Ivanov, Aleksey Ivanov, Wilhelm Grimm

tefi_pr's review

give me more blood on the end for the father and stepmother pls

fablesandwren's review

I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

Things to know:
- There is no fairy godmother
- There are no talking mice
- There is no absent father (for the father is very present)
- There is no one night, but three nights
- And there are a lot of cutting off toes and heels

This story is different than what Disney portrayed for kids (and for good reason on some of the parts). I am not sure cutting toes and heels off would have made it the same magical story it is today. I wish they would have kept the dad though and I am not sure where the fairy godmother came from.

marthisuy's review

Y donde quedaron el Hada Madrina, los zapatitos de cristal, los ratones, la carroza con forma de calabaza, etc?
Para los que venimos acostumbrados a las versiones más cercanas de la Disney, estos cambios fueron un golpe no menor ya que veníamos con una organización mental armada y PUM, toda la historia que conocíamos se desmorona.
Otra cosa que me sorprendió es que el padre de Cenicienta no estaba muerto como nos hicieron creer, sino que estaba vivito y coleando. La conclusión que saco de esto es que era un pollerudo al que poco le importaba que su nueva mujer y sus hijastras trataran a su hija como mierda.
La conclusión final es que el cuento es excelente, pero hay que saber dejad de lado la versión Disney ya que esta es mucho más oscura.

rmtroyer93's review

4/5

sloph's review

The original story I read is quite different to Cinderella as her name is 'Ashputtel'. The story is quite similar but is also quite different. In this Ashputtel dances with the prince 3 times and he follows her back home though he does not find her. This is a more believable story as he would only have to put the shoe on three people and it is more likely that no-one else but Ashputtel would fit the shoe.

girlmeetsbooks's review

too fucking jesus this and god that; also, that father did nothing he deserved to get his eyes pecked out just as much as the other stepsisters

luli's review