If You Tell by Gregg Olsen

shelbybrinley's review against another edition

Well that was a wild ride. I read it in one sitting. I’m new to true crime so I went into it with zero expectations. It was definitely a heavy read and quite saddening to read about the tragic recounts of what this woman “Shelly” did to people and how she treated them. But I thought the author did a good job with the heavy subject at hand.

blackpearl_satorni's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense

mommybookwyrmm's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

mkunkel's review

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

jlusk's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

lexicsanders3's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative mysterious sad tense fast-paced

metropolisa01's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

emese_from_the_nineties's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring sad tense fast-paced

4,75 rounded up.
Excellent true crime book. Masterpiece. It kept me on the edges, I was so emotionally invested in the story. It is hard to comprehend that it is a true story. I know, this story will come into my mind years later as well.

Shelly Knotek, an obviously mentally ill child, was allegedly abused by her grandmother. The narcissistic Shelly has become the sadistic master of manipulation, and verbal and physical abuse. She gives birth to 3 daughters from 3 different fathers, moves into a remote farm, where she is able to execute her sadistic instincts. She is actively hunting her preys, estranged, week people, whom she can torture. The number of her victims besides her family keeps growing through the years..

It is obvious that the author did quite a bit of research on the Knotek family. He was able to keep the tension throughout the whole book. 0.25 star minus, a small critique: some part especially when Ron came around were too descriptively written, like an encyclopedia. However, the writing style changed again and became again very enjoyable.

The vibes and the storyline is very similar to the Educated from Tara Westover: remote farmhouse filled with children who are being abused by the parents, however, not in the name of God as in Westover`s memoir, but "trying to help them". Parents are aware that they are committing crime, as a result they need to live off remote, under the radar.

Trigger warning: extreme mental and physical abuse, mental illness, murder, serial killer, narcissistic behaviour, fraud, true crime.

lottie1803's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

joldfield's review

It is so poorly written.